The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

IRS help

Okay guys, I need tax advise. In as much detail as you feel comfortable giving, how do you handle your referee income and deductions. Specifically, what expenses can you claim and how do you calculate them and keep track of them efficiently and accurately. I have not been doing a good enough job with this, and my day job has finally gotten to the point where I care a whole lot more. I appreciate your help with this. All tricks of the trade are welcome.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Track your mileage to and from games, I believe the current rate is 48 cents a mile. Any equipment (whistle, shirt, shoes) and association fees are deductible.

I remember having a discussion with somebody on this forum trying to sell that his gym membership kept him in shape for officiating. Thin ice if you ask me.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseball
Okay guys, I need tax advise. In as much detail as you feel comfortable giving, how do you handle your referee income and deductions. Specifically, what expenses can you claim and how do you calculate them and keep track of them efficiently and accurately. I have not been doing a good enough job with this, and my day job has finally gotten to the point where I care a whole lot more. I appreciate your help with this. All tricks of the trade are welcome.
I'm not accountant, but I have been told that expenses you can deduct with "no worries" are things that are directly related to your officiating. For instance, camp fees and uniforms etc. Gym memberships are not allowable because you might join the gym even if you didn't ref.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseball
I keep a spreadsheet with all income and expenses. Along with the other deductible items already mentioned I believe you can claim liability insurance.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

As far as uniforms go you should be able to deduct your striped shirt. Your pants and shoes most likely are not deductable. Deductions for uniforms are only allowed if the uniform cannot be worn for any other purpose. Since the shirt really can't be worn for any other purpose, you can deduct it. However, black pants and black shoes can be worn for non-business purposes and are not deductible.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

I respectfully disagree. My patent leathers are used exclusively for refereeing, and I'm deducting them. Same with those awful polyester beltless pants.

On a side note. The Mileage rate just went to 48.5 cents per mile on January 1. During 2006, the rate was 44.5 cents per mile.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ToGreySt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire
As far as uniforms go you should be able to deduct your striped shirt. Your pants and shoes most likely are not deductable. Deductions for uniforms are only allowed if the uniform cannot be worn for any other purpose. Since the shirt really can't be worn for any other purpose, you can deduct it. However, black pants and black shoes can be worn for non-business purposes and are not deductible.

where I'm gonna wear my black patent "leather" (read as PLASTIC) sneakers is a mystery to me
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

How about deducting a navigation device??? Some of the places I'm sent to is off the beaten track and a GPS is necessary to find the schools.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Depends on how you deduct your miles

If you go straight milage, I would say you cannot deduct your GPS. However, if you calculate your deduction as a percentage of your vehicle (15% of all miles go to ref games and camps), then all vehicle costs are deductible using that percentage. You get a better deal using straight mileage. The reason its so high is to incorporate repairs, tires, gas, and things like a gps.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonetoRef
How about deducting a navigation device??? Some of the places I'm sent to is off the beaten track and a GPS is necessary to find the schools.
This one is a bit of a stretch in my book.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Gps

Good question as I bought mine soley for officiating (but now use it for other things as well).
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat
Good question as I bought mine soley for officiating (but now use it for other things as well).
Geocaching?"
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

You can write off uniforms, Pants, shirts, shoes socks, compresion items
You can write off milage, there are two different ways to do it. Keeping track of miles is easiest though.
You can write off meals that are related to what you do, if it is a meeting with an assignor, AD or another official.
You can write off an area of your house if you have a home office for officiating. Along with that you can also write off part of your utilities also.
You can write off your cell phone, if it is used for your officiating needs.
You can write off ( depresiate) computers, PDA's, navigation equipment, Fax machines. Most any electronic device that you use for officiating.

Licenses, Memberships, clinics. As long as it has to do with your business.

You have to remeber that, even though most of us dont look at it this way, the government looks at us as a business. So anything used to help you run your business you can write off or partially write off. As long as you can document it.

I use Online Turbo Tax when i do my taxes, it works well for taking you through step by step of schedule C for an at home business.

As for income, Parks and such will generally send you a 1099 form. Schools generally issue you a check and you should keep track of those. If you ae paid in cash you are suppose to turn that in. Although i know some guys that dont. To me it is not worth the risk of not turning it in.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
I respectfully disagree. My patent leathers are used exclusively for refereeing, and I'm deducting them. Same with those awful polyester beltless pants.

On a side note. The Mileage rate just went to 48.5 cents per mile on January 1. During 2006, the rate was 44.5 cents per mile.
Hey, feel free to disagree. I'm just an accountant.

2007 U.S. Master Tax Guide by CCH Publishing (The tax bible as far as many accountant's are concerned) "The cost and upkeep of a uniform, including laundering and cleaning, are deductible only if the uniform is required as a condition of employment and is not adaptable to general wear."

The pants may be ugly but I'd lay odds that the IRS will find them to be adaptable to general wear. It's not how you use it; it's how it can be used.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

I've been told by several people (and maybe even seen an article in Referee Magazine) that your mileage from work to the game site CANNOT be deducted, but the mileage from the game site to your home CAN be deducted. Either way, I would definitely check w/ an tax accountant as some of the suggestions listed previously seem to be liberal interpretations (from what I know) of the allowable deductions.....