The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 04, 2001, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

A few interesting things from Mr. Knox

NCHSAA Specific Instructions

1- We will not start the game without the X on the floor in front of the table.

2- Players will wear their shirt tails tucked and their shorts pulled up or they will be replaced without any warning.

3- The NF eliminated the long switch because the NCAA eliminated it. Now the NCAA has gone back to the long switch. The NF probably will revert back to the long switch next year. As it stands now, each association in NC will decide if they want to long switch or not.

4- We will be using the 14' coaching box. If the head coach steps out of the box, no mercy will be shown. If the 14' box has not been marked, then the 6' box will be used for the entire game. No assistant coaches will be allowed at the table at anytime except halftime. That is the NF rule but we are to strictly enforce it.

5- Music/sound effects will only be allowed during pre-game, halftime, and postgame. NF rules allow them during timeouts. But not in NC.

Points of Emphasis

1-Bench decorum was addressed with the information regarding the new coaching box and keeping asst. coaches away from the table.

2- Disconcertion applies to all players, substitutes and bench personnel. The penalty is the same whether it's a player who disconcerts or a bench personnel person who disconcerts. A technical foul may be called if the disconcertion is determined to be unsporting but that should be a last resort. But just because a substitute disconcerts, it does not result in a T. It's still just another FT.

3- As stated above, no warning will be given to players who are not properly equipped. They will leave the game at the next dead ball if they don't take the opportunity to tuck and pull up.

4- A defender is not allowed to place his hands on a dribbler. A one time touch is considered incidental contact but if he touches again, it's a foul. Tagging was defined as measuring an opponent who the player is fronting by keeping a hand on him/her. Emphasis was placed on protecting cutters and shooters. Touching the shooter's elbow needs to be called more consistently. Jabs to the shooter's mid-section are to be called intentional fouls.

5- The emphasis on closely guarded was the same as last year.

Comments On Other Rule Changes

3-5 It was strongly emphasized that players must be properly equipped during warm-ups. That means no jewelry, and uniforms warn properly.

7-5-7 If the foul by the defense is intentional or flagrant, the throw-in will be a spot throw. The thrower will not be able to run the baseline because FTs were shot. This was consistent with what the Committee was told the NCAA rule was. But the NCAA has changed their rule to alow the thrower to run.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Nov 05, 2001, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

BktBallRef:

Looks like you had a very full and interesting clinic. We covered basically the same thing here in northern VA. I especially like your comment regarding tucking in and pulling up. It has always bothered me to see players going up and down the court with their shorts falling off their butt. I always tell them to pull them up or take a seat. I wish I had a dollar for everytime they told me "They do this in the NBA!" I tell them -- "You ain't in the NBA."
Old Mon Nov 05, 2001, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Yesterday we had our local rules clinic with coaches and officials and we were told that if there is no coaches box marked, then the home coach has the seatbelt and the visiting coach can roam from midcourt to baseline. That got the coaches attention. I think we will see some boxes marked this week.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2001, 01:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb States are the same basicially.

TH,

I really do not think any state is different in what they tell us during rules meetings or clinics. We are all under the NF, and unless you have special rules or have experimental rules (like we have in Illinois this year), we are all told the same things. I did not see anything that they told you that was any different then what I was told at the Rules Meetings I attended. I would not even be surprised if you were given the NASO pamphlets talking about the NF rules and mechanics. I would hope that we would basically be the same. But states are different.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 05, 2001, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Nope, no pamphlets. Are you guys doing the long switch or not.

Old Mon Nov 05, 2001, 05:27pm
In Memoriam

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
We do not long switch, except when we forget.
mick
Old Tue Nov 06, 2001, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
I especially like your comment regarding tucking in and pulling up. It has always bothered me to see players going up and down the court with their shorts falling off their butt.
Maybe the rules committee should change the uniform rules to require all teams to adopt the (God-awful) "unitards" that the NC State men wore for one season. Anybody else remember those? What year was that? They were so bad, it was actually funny to watch them.

Chuck
Old Tue Nov 06, 2001, 02:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Only 3 Person.

Quote:
We are doing what the NF wants us to do. No long switch in 3 person games only. But the long switch does apply in a 2 person game.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 06, 2001, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Only 3 Person.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
We are doing what the NF wants us to do. No long switch in 3 person games only.
Well, actually the NF doesn't necessarily want you to do it. The NF changed to the NCAA mechanic but now the NCAA has changed to the old NF mechanic. You can expect the NF to revert back next year.

Old Tue Nov 06, 2001, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
quote:

Maybe the rules committee should change the uniform rules to require all teams to adopt the (God-awful) "unitards" that the NC State men wore for one season. Anybody else remember those? What year was that? They were so bad, it was actually funny to watch them.

==================================

Chuck,

I much prefer the unitards that the Australian women's team has been wearing for the last few years. They look more like they are painted on than put on.

Old Tue Nov 06, 2001, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Anatomy 101

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
quote:

I much prefer the unitards that the Australian women's team has been wearing for the last few years. They look more like they are painted on than put on.

That might be good for guys watching women's hoops, but i'm not sure the "painted on" look is good for guys. I'm pretty sure that I don't want to "be able to tell what religion he is", as Robin Williams once said of male ballet dancers. Men's unitards can still be baggy, just all one piece.

Chuck
Old Fri Nov 09, 2001, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

We covered all the same points here in MT. We still have split seasons. Girls in fall with football, boys in winter with volleyball. Anyways, at the beginning there was a lot of concern about keeping the uniforms tucked in. After sending a player once they made sure it never came out again. The coach got on them and they hated going out. In working about 5 games a week I only ended up sending 3 girls out for the entire season. So it went really well.

The zero tolerance with the coaching box was a little tough to handle. I'm more tuned into the games than to see if that coach is a step outta the box. If you're worried more about him than the players, then you're not doing your job.

All in all the players and coaches adjusted really well to the new rules and points of emphasis. Can't wait to start it all over again when the guys season tips off in a couple of weeks!