The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Did I get it right? She only got one FT

This morning - girls game - middle of the first half, and Team A's coach has been barking at me and my parnter the whole time. His team is called for a 5-second OOB violation and he is furious and calls us both "complete morons" at the top of his lungs when I'm right next to him. *WHACK*

My partner goes to administer the FTs and mistakenly tells the players 1 FT (I wasn't paying close enough attention)....B1 misses the FT and my partner gives Team A the ball and they inbounds. At this point, I note to myself that she should get another FT. But he ball is in play now, Team A misses a shot at their goal, Team B rebounds, comes back down and makes a layup. I stop the clock and alert the benches that Team B has an unawarded FT.

B1 shoots her second FT, after which Team A gets the ball OOB under Team B's basket.

Did I make the right call? Should I have stopped the play as soon as the ball became live? Should I have waited for the next dead ball?

Thanks.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

1.) IMO, you handle it correctly by awarding B the second free throw lane cleared with A unrestricted throw in anywhere along the endline.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 06:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
My partner goes to administer the FTs and mistakenly tells the players 1 FT (I wasn't paying close enough attention)....B1 misses the FT and my partner gives Team A the ball and they inbounds. At this point, I note to myself that she should get another FT. But he ball is in play now, Team A misses a shot at their goal, Team B rebounds, comes back down and makes a layup. I stop the clock and alert the benches that Team B has an unawarded FT.

B1 shoots her second FT, after which Team A gets the ball OOB under Team B's basket.

1) Did I make the right call?
2) Should I have stopped the play as soon as the ball became live?
3)Should I have waited for the next dead ball?
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) No

You stop play as soon as you realize the FT shooter had another free throw coming. You then correct as long as you have stopped play within the prescribed time limits.

Good job.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Why did team "A "get the ball after 1st free throw? In either rule set, NCAA or NFHS "B" should have throw in from T in this situation.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 07:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfd21
Why did team "A "get the ball after 1st free throw? In either rule set, NCAA or NFHS "B" should have throw in from T in this situation.
In both rulesets you go to the POI after you correct the error. The POI when play was stopped was after team B had scored on the layup. Therefore the POI is team A's ball for an unrestricted endline throw-in after a made basket.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 08:00pm
M.A.S.H.

I think he's talking about after the first technical foul free throw, why was the other team given the ball for a throw in.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 08:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
I think he's talking about after the first technical foul free throw, why was the other team given the ball for a throw in.
Oh, probably because the official screwed up....

WFD is right. Team B should have got the throw-in. Be that as it may though, giving the wrong team that throw-in isn't correctable after the throw-in was touched on the court. The failure to award the merited FT is correctable. And after you award the merited FT, you go to the POI, which is still an A endline throw-in.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks JR, Thats what I ment, after the T. I agree you can not correct giving to the wrong team. Thanks
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

DC: file a report. There's no excuse for what the coach said to you. I probably would have tossed him for that.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
DC: file a report. There's no excuse for what the coach said to you. I probably would have tossed him for that.
Thanks for your help, guys. Yeah, 2 mess ups in that game, but I think we corrected it the best we could.

Unfortunately, this was just a church league game, so no one to formally complain to, although I will be talking to the organizers about his behavior. He evidently has a "history" of being a hot head.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

Why

DC_Ref12, my question to you is this. Why did only one ref administer the free throw? There is always supposed be two officials administering the free throws.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 04:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchbum
DC_Ref12, my question to you is this. Why did only one ref administer the free throw? There is always supposed be two officials administering the free throws.
Technical foul. The T goes where he can administer maximum supervision of the other 9 players.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like the official who administered the FT watches too much NBA TV.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Sounds like the official who administered the FT watches too much NBA TV.
Yep...he even came over to me afterward and said "Got too much NBA on the brain..."