The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   correctable error or not? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31699-correctable-error-not.html)

spivo Sat Feb 10, 2007 09:53am

correctable error or not?

A buddy and myself officiated a jv game, afterwards we hung around to watch the varsity action. The boys game was very intense and a lot of hustle was was going on. The officials did a professional job. But, toward the end of what was a very close game, something happened that I am not sure about. Here's the situation; Team A is ahead by 1 point and A2 is fouled on the opponents end. Team A is in the bonus so they are shooting the 1 and 1. The officials take team A to their basket for the 1 and 1. The time on the clock before the first try is 11.4 seconds to go in the game. The lead official steps into the lane and informs the players verbally and with hand signal a 1 and 1. A2 shoots the first throw unsuccessfully and B3 rebounds the ball and the clock is started. The lead steps in and takes the ball from B3 as if A2 has another try. Keep in mind that no violation was called during the first try. The trail official blows the whistle to stop the clock at 7.9 seconds. They talk about the play at midcourt and decide to give the ball to Team B at the baseline. Which I believe is the correct call. But, no time was put back on the clock. My question is, should they have put a second or two back on the clock or let the clock stand at 7.9 seconds? Your replys will be appreciated!

Nevadaref Sat Feb 10, 2007 09:56am

They did it right. That is an accidental whistle and the game is resumed at the POI.

BTW time consumed is never put back on the clock for a correctable error. There is only one unsporting throw-in play in which the Case Book says to put the time back on the clock.

mick Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:06am

Almost 4 seconds ran off the clock ? Seems like a bunch.

spivo Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:08am

Awesome

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
They did it right. That is an accidental whistle and the game is resumed at the POI.

BTW time consumed is never put back on the clock for a correctable error. There is only one unsporting throw-in play in which the Case Book says to put the time back on the clock.

These guys really impressed me with their professionalism and their cordialness. I am a first year official and was impressed with their control on and off the court. They ask me before their games to join them at half-time to talk about any questions I might have. I gladly accepted. Although after the game I wanted to ask them about the play at the end of the game, but I did not want them to think I was intruding on their judgement. I had way too much respect for these guys. Thanks nevada for your reply. I'm going to my casebook now to look-up the un-sporting throw-in play.

spivo Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick
Almost 4 seconds ran off the clock ? Seems like a bunch.

Yes, the players questioned the ref, but was not disrepectful in any way towards them. The coach of team A was very upset while team B coach said nothing.

Nevadaref Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by spivo
I'm going to my casebook now to look-up the un-sporting throw-in play.

Here you go:
A SPECIFIC UNSPORTING ACT
10.1.8 SITUATION: Immediately following a goal or free throw by Team A, A1 inbounds the ball to A2 and A2 subsequently throws the ball through A's basket. RULING: The following procedure has been adopted to handle this specific situation if it is recognized before the opponents gain control or before the next throw-in begins: (a) charge Team A with a technical foul; (b) cancel the field goal; (c) cancel any common foul(s) committed and any nonflagrant foul against A2 in the act of shooting; and (d) put “consumed” time back on the clock. COMMENT: If there is no doubt the throw-in was a result of confusion, the entire procedure would be followed except no technical foul would be charged. This procedure shall not be used in any other throw-in situation in which a mistake allows the wrong team to inbound the ball.