The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 07, 2001, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Smile

I applied for admission to The Collegiate Basketball Officials Association(CBOA)and I received a letter in the mail stating that I have to appear at a college here in my area to referee a scrimmage and with less than one week remaining(to prepare)I was wondering if there are any CBOA officials out there that can tell me what the evaluaters will be looking for? And does anyone have any tips on preparing.Since the CBOA has approved the US flag(patch) to be worn on ofiicials shirt, would it be a good idea to wear a US flag(patch) on my shirt?
Old Wed Nov 07, 2001, 03:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question Do not do it just for that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Love2ref4Ever
I applied for admission to The Collegiate Basketball Officials Association(CBOA)and I received a letter in the mail stating that I have to appear at a college here in my area to referee a scrimmage and with less than one week remaining(to prepare)I was wondering if there are any CBOA officials out there that can tell me what the evaluaters will be looking for? And does anyone have any tips on preparing.Since the CBOA has approved the US flag(patch) to be worn on ofiicials shirt, would it be a good idea to wear a US flag(patch) on my shirt?

I have heard of that association, but I would not wear a flag just to impress the CBOA. If you are good, they will have you join I guess. Because truth be told, the NCAA or CCA has approved the wearing of flags, not just that organization. And usually the assignor will have a say of what to do or not. You mainly answer to an assignor at college more than the an association.

My final question, is what benefit do you see by joining this organization. Because I do college too, and I did not need to join an association to do it. So if there is a benefit I would like to know what that is.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 08, 2001, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
CBOA "try-out"

I'm a CBOA member in Western MA. I didn't have to go to be observed. They started that procedure the year after I joined. There's not really a whole lot you can do to prepare. You just go out and ref your game. Two things that I would be sure to do:

1) Make sure you are aware of the NCAA rules changes for this season; and

2) If colleges in your area use 3-man mechanics -- and you're not completely familiar with them -- get a 3-man manual and brush up on it.

Don't wear the flag patch, just b/c you think it will impress the observers. It won't. So what are they looking for? Same as any evaluator, I would guess. Do you know the rules? Do you use proper mechanics? Do you apply the rules according to the adv/disad principles? How do you handle yourself in a pressure situation? Can you follow the game at the increased tempo? Are you in shape?

As far as Rut's question about why you'd need to join CBOA, I can only say that it's a must in my area. That's b/c CBOA has an exclusive contract with the ECAC which schedules officials for all Div 2 and 3 games. So if you want to get scheduled for those games, you have to be a CBOA member. If you only do D1, or if you only do junior colleges, then you wouldn't need to be a memeber. But even so, we do have lots of D1 officials who are part of the organization in my area.

Chuck