The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Glasses to Contacts Update (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31595-glasses-contacts-update.html)

26 Year Gap Wed Feb 07, 2007 07:03pm

Glasses to Contacts Update

At the beginning of the season, I switched to contacts. In large part to some of the comments on this forum, but also as a mention in a camp I attended in 2005. I did not like messing with my eyes, so I resisted. Thanks to all who commented on the subject.

Even though I need to use reading glasses, I am glad I made the change. I am using the 30 day torics that stay in for the duration of the wear period. I only have to "mess with my eyes" twice a month. {Taking out and then putting new ones in.} I have developed more confidence on the floor, and even though my progression is largely due to more experience, the comments from the guys who follow me are more situational now than positional.

I will go to another camp this summer and hopefully move up to the next level next season. Thanks again for your input.

Snake~eyes Wed Feb 07, 2007 09:37pm

You can sleep in those kind? I need to talk to my optometrist about those.

Texas Aggie Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:30pm

I don't sleep in mine, except the rare nap I take or if I ended up somewhere without my gear. If I did, I would wake up with dry eyes that would take a while to adjust. Besides, it isn't that big a deal to put them in and take them out.

I'm thinking seriously about the laser route if its available for my sight.

BktBallRef Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
I am using the 30 day torics that stay in for the duration of the wear period. I only have to "mess with my eyes" twice a month. {Taking out and then putting new ones in.}

If you're wearing 30 day Torics, why are you changing in the middle of the month?

One member of my crew wears contacts for one reason: games. He wears glasses at all times otherwise.

jdw3018 Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I'm thinking seriously about the laser route if its available for my sight.

LASIK is the best thing I ever did.

Texas Aggie Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:07am

I'll admit it: I'm a bit of a chicken.

Pain doesn't bother me. I've had back trouble for years and know what real pain is. But I've had this admittedly weird issue all my life where I can't stand anything like a pencil or similar sharp object pointing at my eye. It could be 3 feet away and still bug me. When I'm at dinner and have a straw in my drink, I move it to where it is pointing the other direction after I've taken a sip!

I'm just a bit worried about how the laser will compound that.

26 Year Gap Thu Feb 08, 2007 07:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
If you're wearing 30 day Torics, why are you changing in the middle of the month?

One member of my crew wears contacts for one reason: games. He wears glasses at all times otherwise.

I mess with my eyes taking the old ones out. That's once. And I mess with my eyes putting the new ones in. That's twice.

26 Year Gap Thu Feb 08, 2007 07:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
You can sleep in those kind? I need to talk to my optometrist about those.

Yep. Sometimes it is a bit dry, but not usually.

Hartsy Thu Feb 08, 2007 09:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef

That is basically how I do it. I love the contacts during games. The physical comfort and field of vision are much better. Outside the court, I guess I notice the dryness I get with contacts, and I find it easier to read and work at my desk with glasses.

jdw3018 Thu Feb 08, 2007 09:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I'll admit it: I'm a bit of a chicken.

Pain doesn't bother me. I've had back trouble for years and know what real pain is. But I've had this admittedly weird issue all my life where I can't stand anything like a pencil or similar sharp object pointing at my eye. It could be 3 feet away and still bug me. When I'm at dinner and have a straw in my drink, I move it to where it is pointing the other direction after I've taken a sip!

I'm just a bit worried about how the laser will compound that.

Well, I'd been a contact lens wearer for 15 years before having it done, so I was used to messing with my eyes. It's a little stressful and strange - but it doesn't hurt and they hop you up on vicodin before sending you in so everything is happy. :D

I was in and out of surgery in 15-20 minutes at around 11:30, slept for a few hours, and by 6:30 that evening was seeing absolutely fine. 20/15 vision in both eyes the next morning after not being able to see the "E" on the vision check and, other than some dryness for the first two weeks, absolutely no problems since.

IREFU2 Thu Feb 08, 2007 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
At the beginning of the season, I switched to contacts. In large part to some of the comments on this forum, but also as a mention in a camp I attended in 2005. I did not like messing with my eyes, so I resisted. Thanks to all who commented on the subject.

Even though I need to use reading glasses, I am glad I made the change. I am using the 30 day torics that stay in for the duration of the wear period. I only have to "mess with my eyes" twice a month. {Taking out and then putting new ones in.} I have developed more confidence on the floor, and even though my progression is largely due to more experience, the comments from the guys who follow me are more situational now than positional.

I will go to another camp this summer and hopefully move up to the next level next season. Thanks again for your input.

I have been using contacts for about 2 years and you are right it helps your confidence and that what it did to mines. I love them!