The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Here we go, cops investigate game film

Take a look at the link below to see what the game is coming to in some areas.
http://www.newsnet5.com/akroncanton/...82/detail.html

Watch the video and see what you think.
I had to quit working the games due to health reasons but still follow what is happening out there.
I am a proponent of returning the sport to a non-contact sport as it was designed instead of the current thinking of "they will have to play like that in college"

Just wanted some input from you guys to see what you think about the whole thing.

BTW, I think having the cops investigate a game really ruins the games. It is the officials who need to be making the rulings on the court and taking the appropriate actions.

Talk about taking the game out of the kids hands..........sheesh.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 03:04pm
PYRef

It's kind of hard to see the shot to the face from this video so I think it would be difficult for the police to make a determination of the intent. What is pretty obvious is the opponent he threw down to the floor before going up for the rebound. He should have had an intentional for that one.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Ridiculous! Watching the video, without sound (I have students in the room) it looks like the white player got called for the big swim move on the rebound early. After that, the kid that took the shot to the eye came running in after the ball and caught an elbow incidentally. Certainly a bad situation, but students run that risk when they step on the court. The officials had nothing to do with the injury, it is just an unfortunate part of the game at times.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BTW, I think having the cops investigate a game really ruins the games. It is the officials who need to be making the rulings on the court and taking the appropriate actions.
what do you say to a kid who sucker punches another from behind and causes serious injury and only gets ejected from the game? is that punishment enough? I think assault is a good addition as well -- our laws shouldnt be put on hold for the excuse that its a game and the officials will police what happens on the court.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
what do you say to a kid who sucker punches another from behind and causes serious injury and only gets ejected from the game? is that punishment enough? I think assault is a good addition as well -- our laws shouldnt be put on hold for the excuse that its a game and the officials will police what happens on the court.
There's no assult here. Its just an overprotective mom getting her nose out of joint because her 7 foot baby got an owie. The only part about the play that was bad was the initial swim move that a foul was called on, at least from what I saw on the video.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

i didnt say for this instance -- this seems like it was just an inadvertant injury of sport -- i was responding to the cops should never investigate. it happens on the pro level too.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't seen the video yet...but this incident happened about an hour down the road from me and its been all over the internet and radio and TV. THe big complaint is that the video seems to show a closed fist. Does anyone else see this?
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottk_61
Take a look at the link below to see what the game is coming to in some areas.

Talk about taking the game out of the kids hands..........sheesh.
I can tell little from the video, it is too dark from here.

You are incorrect concerning cops investigating the game (because they are not). If the potential offense (in police terms) merits investigation on the street, then it merits investigation on the court.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
There's no assult here.
It's important to note that while you make this judgement from an official's perspective, it's entirely possible that a court of law could come to a completely seperate, yet equally correct judgement.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco
It's important to note that while you make this judgement from an official's perspective, it's entirely possible that a court of law could come to a completely seperate, yet equally correct judgement.
I don't normally do this, but I'll make an exception in your case

Separate.

Carry on.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I don't normally do this, but I'll make an exception in your case

Separate.

Carry on.
Heck, as long as we're nitpicking spelling, we might as well go for punctuation to boot. You need a period at the end of your first sentence there, tiger.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are absolutely correct.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
You are absolutely correct.
Concordingly, and at the behest of another wise poster, I would like to thank you for that information.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Heck, as long as we're nitpicking spelling, we might as well go for punctuation to boot. You need a period at the end of your first sentence there, tiger.

Why?
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Why?
Your post implied some sort of inherent set of rules on this board in regards to spelling...that we are to be corrected for the improper execution of it...I naturally assumed that ran the gammut of all areas of grammar and punctuation.

I could be wrong though. Pray tell, are we solely forbidden from slip-ups in spelling, or are we to be on watch for violations in punctuation, grammar and sentence structure as well?

I thank you for your information.