The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   to three or not to three (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31512-three-not-three.html)

sc/nc ref Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:53am

to three or not to three

A few nights ago, my partners and I were discussing a play that one of them had in a game earlier in the season. A1, in the frontcourt with the ball, has his left foot in front of the 3pt line and his right foot behind the 3pt line.
He picks his left foot up. Before placing it back down, and with his right foot clearly behind the 3pt line, he elevates and shoots. The ball goes in the basket.
Is it a 3pter or a 2?
He counted it a 3. My thinking is that until the left foot actually touches behind the 3pt line that it is still a 2pt shot (thinking along the lines of "you are where you are until you get to where you are going).
What is the correct ruling?

Ref in PA Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:01am

3 points.

No need to ground the second foot behind the arc.

Terrapins Fan Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:03am

I agree with what you are saying, but if he is at the half court line and stratles it, if he lifts the foot in back court, if he puts it back down in back court, are you calling BC?

Some will , some won't. BTW, I wouldn't, based on all 3 parts in front court.

on this one, I think I'd call it a 3.

cmathews Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
I agree with what you are saying, but if he is at the half court line and stratles it, if he lifts the foot in back court, if he puts it back down in back court, are you calling BC?

I wouldn't call BC if they are dribbling, if they are holding the ball and do this, then yes I have a BC the 3 pts across rule only applies to a dribbler...

sc/nc ref Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan

Yes I would. Unless he is dribbling, in that situation it would be back court.

BEAREF Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:40am

I don't remember that last time that I've seen someone make a jumpshot while pushing off with just one leg.... I don't think that I'd be able to do it even from short range let alone a three pointer. I guess it'd be easier with younger legs:)

Tim C Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:45am

Sorry to butt in,

Wouldn't this be the same play as:

A1 on a break away leading all other towards his basket. A1's last step is clearly from behind the 3 point line . . . he releases the ball before touching the ground again inside the arc . . .

This would be a three point goal, correct?

Regards,

bob jenkins Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C

A1 on a break away leading all other towards his basket. A1's last step is clearly from behind the 3 point line . . . he releases the ball before touching the ground again inside the arc . . .

Regards,

Correct -- and the OP is a three-point try as well.

tjones1 Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C

Regards,

Yes sir, score three points.

blindmanwalking Mon Feb 05, 2007 01:20pm

I would think it would depend on when the shooting motion started. If it clearly started after his left foot was off the ground then count the basket as a 3. If it started before his left foot was off the ground then 2 points.

Jurassic Referee Mon Feb 05, 2007 01:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindmanwalking
I would think it would depend on when the shooting motion started. If it clearly started after his left foot was off the ground then count the basket as a 3. If it started before his left foot was off the ground then 2 points.

I think I disagree. I think that rule 4-35-1(c) and 4-35-2&3 disagree with you too.

If you're standing on one foot outside the 3-point line, you're outside the 3-point line. There's no part of you touching the court inside the 3-point line. No different than inbounds vs. OOB and frontcourt vs. backcourt.

blindzebra Mon Feb 05, 2007 02:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I think I disagree. I think that rule 4-35-1(c) and 4-35-2&3 disagree with you too.

If you're standing on one foot outside the 3-point line, you're outside the 3-point line. There's no part of you touching the court inside the 3-point line. No different than inbounds vs. OOB and frontcourt vs. backcourt.

So what if both feet are on the floor, one behind the line and one on it, as they begin a jump shot, but the one on the line leaves the floor first? Technically, they are standing behind the line on one foot, are they not?

It has to clearly be two seperate acts, getting behind the 3 point line and then shooting, IMO.

Jurassic Referee Mon Feb 05, 2007 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindzebra
So what if both feet are on the floor, one behind the line and one on it, as they begin a jump shot, but the one on the line leaves the floor first? <font color = red>Technically, they are standing behind the line on one foot, are they not?</font>

It has to clearly be two seperate acts, getting behind the 3 point line and then shooting, IMO.

Yup, that's exactly what I said and that's why it's a 3-pointer if they then jump off that foot to shoot.

If A1 has his left foot on the 3-point line and his right foot behind the line, what's his status as soon as he picks his left foot up? Iow, he's holding the ball with one foot in the air and one foot on the floor behind the arc. Is he behind the line or not?

It is two separate acts. One to get behind the line by raising one foot. One to shoot going off the other foot that is behind the arc.

blindzebra Mon Feb 05, 2007 02:59pm

Quote:

Yup, that's exactly what I said and that's why it's a 3-pointer if they then jump off that foot to shoot.

If A1 has his left foot on the 3-point line and his right foot behind the line, what's his status as soon as he picks his left foot up? Iow, he's holding the ball with one foot in the air and one foot on the floor behind the arc. Is he behind the line or not?

It is two separate acts. One to get behind the line by raising one foot. One to shoot going off the other foot that is behind the arc.

I'm talking about a subtle leaving first, not an obvious one.

Many times when a player jumps one foot will leave the floor a split second before the other, by what you were saying, anytime that happens it would be ruled a 3 even if the jump shot began with a foot on the line...I disagree.

You disagreed with the other poster who brought up shooting motion beginning having an affect on the call, so I changed up the OP slightly to illustrate that it should be part of judging this play.

blindmanwalking Mon Feb 05, 2007 03:09pm

Quote:

Good catch. I stand corrected.