The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Taunting (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31494-taunting.html)

mrmotivation Sun Feb 04, 2007 02:56pm

Taunting

I had an instance during my last game that I think I did the right thing on.

Team A had the ball on a fast break and A1 is coming down the sideline as B1 is closely guarding him (but no contact). A1 collides with B1 and immediately my partner calls a foul on B1 as they are now both on the ground from the collision. It was a good call. Partner goes over to report it and A1 gets up and begins to clap loudly in the face of B1.

I immediately T up A1 for taunting.

Right or wrong?

zebraman Sun Feb 04, 2007 02:58pm

Sounds like you took care of business to me. Nice.

tjones1 Sun Feb 04, 2007 03:18pm

Sounds good to me. Certainly if you let something like this go it's only going to lead down a bad, bad road i.e. fighting.

Adam Sun Feb 04, 2007 04:02pm

Well done. A1 couldn't have made it easier on you.

Ref Daddy Sun Feb 04, 2007 04:26pm

Yep, T for an action of drawing negitive attention to an opponent .... taunting!

MJT Sun Feb 04, 2007 04:44pm

If he was clapping "in his face" as you indicated, then yes, I agree on giving him a T. If not "in his face" you'd have to see it to know if it was taunting or not, but other actions could cause it to be taunting when the clapping alone would not.

mplagrow Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmotivation
I had an instance during my last game that I think I did the right thing on.

Team A had the ball on a fast break and A1 is coming down the sideline as B1 is closely guarding him (but no contact). A1 collides with B1 and immediately my partner calls a foul on B1 as they are now both on the ground from the collision. It was a good call. Partner goes over to report it and A1 gets up and begins to clap loudly in the face of B1.

Right or wrong?

First, I would have given him the stop sign and the evil eye. Then I would have given him a warning so he could correct his own behavior. Then I would have challenged him not to do anything wayward again and stared him down some more to keep him in line.

On second thought, I'd do what you did.

Mark Padgett Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:05pm

Nip it. Nip it in the bud.

Right call.

tomegun Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mplagrow
First, I would have given him the stop sign and the evil eye. Then I would have given him a warning so he could correct his own behavior. Then I would have challenged him not to do anything wayward again and stared him down some more to keep him in line.

On second thought, I'd do what you did.

:rolleyes: That darn stop sign has come up again!

Nevadaref Mon Feb 05, 2007 02:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmotivation
...A1 gets up and begins to clap loudly in the face of B1.

Amazing, I had the exact same thing in a game yesterday! :) I also charged the player with a technical foul.