The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Inbound pass deflection goes OOB - time? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31465-inbound-pass-deflection-goes-oob-time.html)

eyezen Sat Feb 03, 2007 04:22pm

Inbound pass deflection goes OOB - time?

2nd quarter 1.8 left on the clock, I am new trail opposite administrating a designated spot throw-in under the basket for team B. Inbounds pass goes out towards table and immediately deflected OOB by the defense. Clock still reads 1.8. Team B calls timeout. Team A wants time off. We discuss during timeout. R decides to leave time as is.

5-9-2 If the referee determines that the clock was not started or stopped properly, or if the clock did not run, an official's count or other official information can be used to make a correction.

Intuitively I feel some time has to come off, but can we justify it and if so how much? Obviously there won't be any accurate count.

Thoughts?

mplagrow Sat Feb 03, 2007 04:24pm

Leave it alone. You have no way of knowing realistically how much time to run off. What can you do, try to justify taking off .2? Play on.

Adam Sat Feb 03, 2007 04:25pm

If you don't know for sure, leave it alone.

eyezen Sat Feb 03, 2007 04:37pm

Thanks for the replies. I was pretty sure the R was right by rule, and your answers clarify that for me.

But you have to agree (or maybe you don't :-) that intuitively some time has elapsed. I wish there was a clarification by the FED one way or the other as this type of play seems to happen quite a bit. Say this play happened under the offensive basket, we've seen every tick count. If the FED comes out and says no time has to come off then so be it.

Adam Sat Feb 03, 2007 04:43pm

There's no way to accurately estimate it. It's not a pefect world. ;)

eyezen Sat Feb 03, 2007 04:46pm

Agreed, but then where did the .3 tap rule come from? ;)

BktBallRef Sat Feb 03, 2007 05:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen

The 3 tenths rule has nothing to do with putting on or taking time off the clock.

eyezen Sat Feb 03, 2007 05:29pm

BktBallRef:

I know that.

Snaqwells made the case that the FED would have no way to accurately estimate the amount of time a deflection would take hence there is no definitely ruling.

I was merely making a parallel statement on where then did they (FED, NCAA whomever) get .3 seconds as to the amount of time that decides whether a player can catch and shoot versus a tap for a try for goal.

Sorry my statement wasn't clear.

Adam Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen

There's a key difference here. The fed (and virtually every other governing basketball organization) has ruled that it's physically impossible to catch and shoot in .3 seconds or less. That's something that can be empirically challenged and proven beyond reasonable doubt.

There is no way to estimate how long it takes for the ball to go from a player's hand to the floor OOB on a tip. It truly could take less than .1 second if the player is close enough to the line and the ball touches him close enough to the floor. There are too many variables that cannot be accounted for.

Stat-Man Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:09am

My rule book is two floors up, but I believe in NBA rules, at least 0.3 seconds must come off on plays where an inbounded pass is immediately tipped out of bounds with a stopped clock.

I also believe that NCAA and NFHS have no such provision.

mplagrow Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man
My rule book is two floors up. . .

With that kind of lazy-azz attitude, Statman will soon be Fatman!