The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Question Backcourt Violation?

Player in FC gets trapped in corner near division line spins ball into BC so that it comes back to FC and is picked up by a teammate. Seems like it should be a Violation, but I can't find a rule for it. Please Advise.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 12:17pm
M.A.S.H.

Well...9-9-1
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Backcourt?

We can all agree that if the ball was spun into the back court and bounces back towards the front court and a team mate recovers the ball in the front court "on the fly", it is a bc violation.
My twist to this was take the same scenario only the ball bounces back on to the front court and then is recovered by a team mate after it hits the floor in the front court. I believe the recovery is legal.
I believe that once the ball bounces in the front court it gains front court status again.
What do you guys think?
Carl
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEBRA
I believe that once the ball bounces in the front court it gains front court status again.
What do you guys think?
Carl
I think you are right that the ball does gain front court status again.... BUT .... it's still a violation. The problem is not where the ball "is," but where the ball "has been" and the sequence of touching.

9.1.1 doesn't say that the ball has to stay in the backcourt.

Here are the variables in the rule:
a. ball was in control of the team AND
b. ball achieved front court status AND
c. a player of the team in control was the LAST to touch the ball before it went into the backcourt AND
d. the same player or a teammate of that player was the FIRST to touch the ball after it went into the backcourt

If each variable is true,, then it is a backcourt violation. I believe the OP meets the definition quite clearly.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 02:13am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEBRA
My twist to this was take the same scenario only the ball bounces back on to the front court and then is recovered by a team mate after it hits the floor in the front court. I believe the recovery is legal.
What do you guys think?
As Rusty said, I think that you're one for two. That's a violation.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 02:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

JV boys this morning, had an easy one that drew some commentary from the coach. A1 with the ball in the front court, tight pressure by B1. B1 slaps the ball away, A1 taps it to try to regain player control, and then gathers it. As he gathered it, he had one foot in the FC and gained control by starting a dribble (ball's first bounce was in the BC). Tweet!
Coach and players are crying that B1 hit it. I chose not to give a rules clinic at this time and we played on.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 06:02am
Official Forum Member

For those who believe that the play is legal if the ball bounces again in the frontcourt before the teammate recovers it:

A1 is trapped in his backcourt near the end line. He throws a bounce pass with spin that bounces OUT OF BOUNDS on the two-foot thick end line under the basket. A2 in the opposite corner of the court along the same end line in the backcourt waits for the ball to bounce a second time INBOUNDS on the court and then picks it up.

Do you think that this is legal as well?
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
For those who believe that the play is legal if the ball bounces again in the frontcourt before the teammate recovers it:

A1 is trapped in his backcourt near the end line. He throws a bounce pass with spin that bounces OUT OF BOUNDS on the two-foot thick end line under the basket. A2 in the opposite corner of the court along the same end line in the backcourt waits for the ball to bounce a second time INBOUNDS on the court and then picks it up.

Do you think that this is legal as well?
Although I understand the point you are making, this is a little different because the ball is dead instantly on the OOB violation, but there is no violation until the ball is touched by a player in a BC violation. If there was the mandate that a ball thrown OOB be touched before the call was made, I'm sure we would have people coming in asking the same thing about OOB calls.