The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jewlery and Religion (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31393-jewlery-religion.html)

Eastshire Thu Feb 01, 2007 02:51pm

Jewlery and Religion

Before a game last week a coach came to my partner and me to tell us than one of his players was wearing a religious bracelet and would that be okay.

While my partner wanted to let him play with the bracelet taped down on the wrist, I insisted that the player couldn't participate with it around his wrist. I did offer to allow him to tape it to his chest even though it was not technically a medal. When the player showed me the bracelet it looked very similar to what I would call a friendship bracelet that is a fabric cord.

Appearently, my partner felt that it wasn't jewlery but I felt that only religious medals are excluded.

Should a player be allowed to wear a bracelet? Is taping it down sufficient? Is allowing him to tape it to his chest acceptable?

The player ended up taking off the bracelet and participating.

Ignats75 Thu Feb 01, 2007 02:53pm

Quote:

The player ended up taking off the bracelet and participating.
There's your answer.

Nothing on the arms and hands. Medals are allowed to be taped down.

JRutledge Thu Feb 01, 2007 03:04pm

The only thing that can be taped to your wrist is a Medical Alert bracelet. Any religious item has to be taped under the jersey. So the way I read it they cannot wear a religious bracelet. Now wearing a religious necklace is allowed as long as it is taped under the jersey and cannot be seen.

At least this is what Rule 3-5-7.

Peace

bgleason@neonin Thu Feb 01, 2007 03:04pm

Tell him/her to wear it under a sweat band next time. What religion requires the wearing of a wrist band/bracelet?

jdw3018 Thu Feb 01, 2007 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgleason@neonin
Tell him/her to wear it under a sweat band next time. What religion requires the wearing of a wrist band/bracelet?

Kabbalah.

But I only know that because I have a thing for Madonna. Err, I did at one time...

cmathews Thu Feb 01, 2007 03:07pm

not religious but

Had a kid last night wearing a biceps band on his calf....I thought maybe I could get him to tell me it was a wrist band, which if he did I would tell him it has to be properly worn and a wrist band I assume is intended for the wrist...I ask he says no, I say well then what is it? He gives me the deer in the headlights look, I say why do you have it on, does it "do" anything? He says no, I say, ok then it is a decoration take it off....it worked what a concept LOL....

Jurassic Referee Thu Feb 01, 2007 03:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgleason@neonin
Tell him/her to wear it under a sweat band next time.

That's illegal also. You wouldn't let someone wear a watch under a sweatband, would you?

archangel Thu Feb 01, 2007 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
That's illegal also. You wouldn't let someone wear a watch under a sweatband, would you?

Of course its illegal. I wouldnt tell the player to wear a sweatband over it cause Id know it was still there. That being said, Im not looking under the uni's, ect for illegal things I cant see......

cmathews Thu Feb 01, 2007 03:55pm

belly button rings

We have an official who this year began asking the players to make sure and remove any belly button rings they have.....Last year we were doing a regional tournament game and sometime in the 2nd quarter there was something on the floor....yep you guessed it, someone had lost their naval ring.....he does get the deer in the headlight looks when he makes that statement....

rainmaker Thu Feb 01, 2007 06:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmathews
...yep you guessed it, someone had lost their naval ring.......

Was he allowed to wear it when he was on active duty?

26 Year Gap Thu Feb 01, 2007 06:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker

.......... :D

BillyMac Thu Feb 01, 2007 08:39pm

Bandaids On Earlobes

Regarding players with bandaids on earlobes: Our interpreter has told us to ask the players during warmups "why" they have a bandaid on their earlobe. If they answer that it's covering an earring, then we tell them that the earring must be removed for them to play. If they say it's covering a cut, scratch, etc., then we have been instructed to allow them to play, not asking to have them remove the bandaid to prove that they aren't wearing earrings. We are also required to ask the coaches during the pregame if their players are properly equipped. If the players or coaches are going to lie to us, and if the earring causes a problem in the game, we can't be held liable because they lied to us.

JRutledge Thu Feb 01, 2007 09:20pm

Billy,

You do not have to go through all of that. You can look and see if there is an earring behind the band aid. Usually the point of the earring is sticking out clearly behind the ear. I also would not ask them what is behind the earring, I would assume it was an earring and they would have to come up with the reason they have a band aid. If they truly need the band aid to cover up a sore that would be clear in their answer. If they hesitate then you can figure out how true their story is. But in the 10 years of my officiating career I have yet to ever see a band aid on the ear that was not covering an earring. Many of the kids know what the rule is. They are trying to cover it up by claiming they have worn it in the past.

Peace

26 Year Gap Thu Feb 01, 2007 09:31pm

In 50 years of wearing band-aids, I can never remember wearing one on my ear. I can never remember any of my kids needing a band-aid on an ear. And knowing how fashion conscious most HS kids are, it is unlikely that they would wear a band-aid on their ear unless they liked getting razzed OR, as Rut said...

cmathews Fri Feb 02, 2007 09:37am

well she was active yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker

but I don't know that playing actually is the same as duty LOL.....but she wasn't actually in the Navy, when she lost her navel ring :D my bad....I had gone so long without the spelling/grammar police catching me too....darn darn darn it LOL