The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   whistles-dolphin (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31381-whistles-dolphin.html)

kbilla Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:41am

whistles-dolphin

mentioned this on another thread, but i would really like some feedback. i started using the dolphin and had a partner tell me that it sounded terrible, he really thought it was awful....i couldn't tell when i was the one blowing it, it just sounds a little higher pitched and a little louder to me, but not bad...he swore though that it sounded sick...anybody else have thoughts on the dolphin?

Scrapper1 Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:42am

kbilla, this whistle has been discussed a lot in the past, apparently. Just check the "related threads" at the bottom of this page.

kbilla Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
kbilla, this whistle has been discussed a lot in the past, apparently. Just check the "related threads" at the bottom of this page.

thanks, guess i can drop my complex and start using it again...maybe this guy was part canine?

FrankHtown Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:46am

I'm using it this season. It's a little louder, I believe, and the tone is a little higher, but no one has made disparaging remarks about it. I'm not married to it; just trying it out.

kbilla Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHtown
I'm using it this season. It's a little louder, I believe, and the tone is a little higher, but no one has made disparaging remarks about it. I'm not married to it; just trying it out.

it does feel a little strange since it is smaller and you have to get the "right" side up....i would never have bought one a retailer sent it to me for free b/c of a shipping mix-up...anyone have the $25 version? you have to be kidding me a $25 whistle!?!??!!? does it report the foul for you too?

BayStateRef Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:42am

My partner used a Dolfin at my last game. I did not know it until after the game. I could not tell any difference. He said he likes it better than the Fox40, especially in noisy gyms.

tjones1 Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:24pm

There was a guy around here who used one, as soon as he blew his whistle, I could tell something was different. So, from my experience, I would say he is correct. Looks like the results are mixed, but as I've said before, I'm sticking to the Fox.

Ref Daddy Thu Feb 01, 2007 02:39pm

Used the Dolphin all year.

I am a fan. I've heard no comments from others about the sound.

26 Year Gap Thu Feb 01, 2007 06:10pm

I could not use a Dolphin. I am a Jets fan.

j51969 Thu Feb 01, 2007 07:43pm

Used it all year. I like it better!

Back In The Saddle Fri Feb 02, 2007 01:24am

Wanted to try it. Bought it. Tried it for half a game. Didn't like it. Gave it away.

I didn't like the way it felt in my mouth. It sounded kinda squeaky to me, not so much like a whistle sound.

I'll tell you what else I tried that I have completely loved: I bought some pipe tips and tried one on a Fox40 Classic. I love it. I have started giving away the new CMG's I bought. Honig's has the pipe tips for $0.20/each.

mrmotivation Fri Feb 02, 2007 02:18am

You mean to tell me that there are other whistles out there other than the Fox 40????

:p :p :p :p

Mr. Motivation

tjones1 Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Wanted to try it. Bought it. Tried it for half a game. Didn't like it. Gave it away.

I didn't like the way it felt in my mouth. It sounded kinda squeaky to me, not so much like a whistle sound.

I'll tell you what else I tried that I have completely loved: I bought some pipe tips and tried one on a Fox40 Classic. I love it. I have started giving away the new CMG's I bought. Honig's has the pipe tips for $0.20/each.

There's another one who likes the pipe bits, too bad Chuck wasn't around... he'd try to get you to use hockey tape! ;)

Back In The Saddle Fri Feb 02, 2007 05:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1
There's another one who likes the pipe bits, too bad Chuck wasn't around... he'd try to get you to use hockey tape! ;)

I tell you, those squirrels will chew on anything! :rolleyes::D