The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Indicating number of Free throws (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31362-indicating-number-free-throws.html)

tjchamp Wed Jan 31, 2007 09:05pm

Indicating number of Free throws

In two and three man, nfhs, who is responsible for indicating the number of throws. I've looked in the officials manual, and it indicates lead and c (3 man), or trail (2 man) will make eye contact with each other and give visual signals to each other the number of throws. Does the c/t continue to give that visual signal to the benches for a moment then drop it? Does the lead do the same (is it different in 2 vs 3 man)?

JRutledge Wed Jan 31, 2007 09:17pm

I guess the question I have of you is what situation are you talking about? The C and the T give the signal to the table. The Lead gives the signal when they administer the FTs to the players. The calling official signals the situation during the reporting of the foul. And there are situations in 3 man when the trail would make sure their partners know the situation and signal to their partners. I guess it depends if you are talking about a specific situation.

Peace

tjchamp Wed Jan 31, 2007 09:21pm

I'm referring to after the L has bounced the ball to the thrower. What signals are given, by whom, and for how long.

JRutledge Wed Jan 31, 2007 09:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjchamp
I'm referring to after the L has bounced the ball to the thrower. What signals are given, by whom, and for how long.

The C or the T gives a signal to the table and to your partners. You should release it when the shooter gets the ball.

Peace

ChrisSportsFan Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:01pm

As part of communicating within the crew, everyone should do it so everyone knows that everyone else is on the same page.

Ignats75 Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:51am

In two man, if I am the T, I will show the number of shots while waiting for the L to administer to the shooter. I will drop that signal as I commence the 10 second count.

I do the same if I am the C in 3 man.

blindzebra Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:59am

Based on the manual:

Trail indicates the number of FTs to lead, lead indicates the number to the players. There is no mention of anyone indicating the number of shots to the table.

In AZ they want lead to indicate the number to the table as they back out.

TimTaylor Thu Feb 01, 2007 01:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindzebra
Based on the manual:

Trail indicates the number of FTs to lead, lead indicates the number to the players. There is no mention of anyone indicating the number of shots to the table.

In AZ they want lead to indicate the number to the table as they back out.

And in Oregon our SRI wants he Trail to do it...as Ignats75 described. Since there is no specified method by NFHS, I believe this one is up to what each State wants........