The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Have you seen the Kobe follow through when his shot gets blocked???
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy
Have you seen the Kobe follow through when his shot gets blocked???
Hey c'mon, the verdict was not guilty and both Kobe & his wife have moved on.

Why bring that all up again?
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 11:30am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref

Right. He gave his wife a 5mil diamond ring and they moved on. It's not like he sent her a dozen roses and a box of chocolates.......
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
In Agreement with;

- The fact contacting the arm after the ball has left the hand will not affect trajectory of the ball.
- Not all contact should be called a foul, each situation has to be evaluated on its own.
- Contacting player during follow through changes said follow through.
I.M.O. - notice this is still my opinion.

- Changing the follow through will change the overall shot, I feel that complete follow though is essential to having good form and leads to higher quality shooting. If you cant follow through then you don't have good form.

- Because my opinion is different from yours does not give you the right to make less of it. As I have read in several other posts some tend to attack those who post with an opinion that is different.
You can't have it both ways. If contact after the ball leaves the hand does not change its trajectory, how can it affect the overall shot?

However, if the shooter is anticipating contact or altering the shot to avoid a defender, the shooters normal follow through may be changed, but this is due to events prior to the ball leaving the hand. Contact may or may not occur, but if it occurs after the ball is in flight, the contact itself did NOT change the ball flight.

Whether a shot misses due to contact or good defense is up to the official seeing it happen. If the contact is after the ball is in flight, different judgements apply, but certainly fouls may be called here as well.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref

WHAT?? I am talking about the game against San Antonio Spurs. He hit Ginobili.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...t.1d87fd4.html
ESPN has been showing the video clip all morning.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy
WHAT?? I am talking about the game against San Antonio Spurs. He hit Ginobili.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...t.1d87fd4.html
ESPN has been showing the video clip all morning.
Oh. My bad, I don't follow the NBA all that much.

I was thinking more about this block of a Kobe shot

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0924041kobea1.html
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Then you have never had to rely on form and follow through as a shooter. Probably never played before.

We can go back and forth on this for ever. You believe what you want.
The follow-through is important because of what you have to do to get to a proper follow-through. The follow-through just shows you that you have used proper form. Once the ball has been released, nothing can affect the shot (other than a Greg Oden-type).

If you played golf, you would know this. You could just stop the golf club after you hit the ball and nothing would change (something you find out when hitting out from behind a tree, LOL). The proper follow-through just indicates that your swing path didn't change.

What part of the follow-through touches the ball?
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Ball/hand contact

Thought this might fall in the realm of this thread.

Had this scenario the other day during a JV boys’ game: Visiting team down by one with six seconds left in the game and throwing the ball in. After the throw-in, the offensive player drives the baseline and becomes airborne (with momentum carrying him towards the basket) with an attempt to shoot about a 10-footer at the buzzer. Defensive player goes straight up and blocks the shot, ball goes straight back (is this important?). As Lead, I had a great look between them, maybe some slight contact with the shooters hand AFTER contact with the ball, and had no call…game over. Visiting coach doesn’t stomp around or shout at me, just gives me a respectful pleading look like “how about it?”. I just shake my head and hustle off the court.

Wasn’t trying to avoid overtime or give the Home team the call, it simply looked like a no-call to me (partner confirmed as well, unless he was trying to be nice). I’m sure there was no way to make either team happy on such a bang-bang play no matter what the call might have been.

I realize there’s no way to make a judgment without seeing the actual play, however, do you make a call on these types of plays based on ball contact first, player contact second or at the same time, etc.?

Thanks