The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Tell me if you have anything here

Tonight, Frosh boys. Good game. Midway through the first half, V takes the ball out after a made H basket, and I'm the new trail (2 man). V1 is out of bounds and tosses it to V2 who is on the court, but when he gets the ball, he walks out of bounds to make the throw in himself. I call OOB, turnover, H ball. V Coach goes crazy. I don't think he saw it clearly as he said the guy passing the 2nd guy the ball wasn't out of bounds (BUT HE WAS!!).

I guess one could say there was no real advantage gained as the press was still on, but to me, I didn't know if the player had a lapse and then realized it so he acted as if he was going to throw the ball in to cover himself, or it was just a mixup between teammates. Either way, I've never had this exact sitch before and would like to hear how you might have handled it.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I guess you mean this freshman coach went crazy about the call, not about his players making such a stupid mistake.

Good OOB call. I hope you T'ed the coach up. This way he'll spend time working on basics (like how to throw the ball in) instead of working on his motion offense with these kids.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 12:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Tonight, Frosh boys. Good game. Midway through the first half, V takes the ball out after a made H basket, and I'm the new trail (2 man). V1 is out of bounds and tosses it to V2 who is on the court, but when he gets the ball, he walks out of bounds to make the throw in himself. I call OOB, turnover, H ball. V Coach goes crazy. I don't think he saw it clearly as he said the guy passing the 2nd guy the ball wasn't out of bounds (BUT HE WAS!!).

I guess one could say there was no real advantage gained as the press was still on, but to me, I didn't know if the player had a lapse and then realized it so he acted as if he was going to throw the ball in to cover himself, or it was just a mixup between teammates. Either way, I've never had this exact sitch before and would like to hear how you might have handled it.
Maybe he traveled before going out of bounds, but that doesn't change anything
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I guess one could say there was no real advantage gained as the press was still on...
I'd agree on the OOB call - especially if the press was still on! Had there not been a press I would have been inclined to just verbalize a warning to the players, but there seems to be a definition advantage in being able to confuse the other team (who's throwing the ball in, V1 can just step right back into play, even though it looked like a throw-in to the opposing team). When the press is on, you can't give the offense any lenience/warnings in the backcourt - and in this case you might make this call even without the press on.

EDIT: after visualizing this in my mind, I think you'd be right to call this at all times, press or not. It's a lack of communication between teammates - it's much different from just a foot just barely over the OOB line on a throw-in or accidentally displacing the ball after a made basket.

Last edited by wildcatter; Fri Jan 26, 2007 at 01:08am.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 02:13am
In Memoriam

Violation. Same concept as case book play 9.2.5.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 04:28am
Official Forum Member

Worked the #1 girls team in the state tonight....something must be in the water because they were not themselves and had a play similar to your (2 in fact). They turned the ball over more than I've ever seen them do. Several overthrown passes that sailed OOB.

They had a spot throwin in the frontcourt. The ball is handed to the thrower. Then along comes another thrower who steps OOB and takes the ball from the 1st thrower. You'd think they'd know that they couldn't do that.

They had another thowin after a made basket where the girl grabbed the ball, hopped in the air towards OOB, threw the ball down the court for a fast break, then stepped OOB.

They were up by 30 in the 4th and the coach was going crazy about no-calls. One, I would have called in a closer game. It was a guard getting bumped at the top of the key as she passed the ball. It was hard enough to knock her down but the ball made it to a player who was wide open for a 10-12' jumper. I passed, he wanted the foul, being quiet loud about it all but not saying anything particular that was offensive. Bear in mind, this was after a 30 foul first half and a 2nd half count that was nearing 20 with distinctly more being called against the losing team. I talked to him a bit and got him to settle down. Next trip back to his end, his player scores a 2' put back. On the way down, a defender got a little closer such that there was some minor body contact. Nobody down, maybe caused the shooter to shift over 3-4". Absolutely no advantage. He goes ape again......whack!

Something must have been in the water. Why would any coach be worried about minor contact with a 30 point lead in the 4th quarter.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 07:43am
PYRef

Same sitch occurred with my daughter's 8th gr team. They had the throw in after a basket, everyone ran down court so no press. It was pretty obvious that the girl who received the pass and walked OOB was confused about who was supposed to throw it in. Even the ref had a delayed whistle after he realized what had happened, but I thought it was a good call.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Violation. Same concept as case book play 9.2.5.
What he said!
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust

Something must have been in the water. Why would any coach be worried about minor contact with a 30 point lead in the 4th quarter.
Maybe the line was 32.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Violation. Either Travelling for walking back OOB, or an OOB call. In either situation, GREAT CALL! I have made the exact same call at least 3-4 times in my career.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

He didn't travel to get OOB. He was real close and might have hopped or just taken one step.

To me, it was a pretty much a no-brainer. Head-scratcher, yes, but easily handled. Just wanted to see if anyone had a different idea and a good reason for that.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

I had two in the same game this week

Maybe its the moon phase.

In first qtr, after V makes a basket, H leaps in the air, catches and throws the ball to another player, then lands out of bounds. It was a pretty good save, except that she wasn't supposed to save it.

3rd qtr. Press after V made basket, H thrower hands the ball to another player who is in bounds.

Called them both.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 03:41pm
(Something hilarious)

Violation.