The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Pre-Game Meeting

Am I wrong in here? I can't stand it when my partner is giving pregame and he starts out with "Coaches, do you have any questions?" Isn't that one of the worst things you can ask? That just opens up a can of worms. Pregame is not a question/answering session, right? I look at is the time for you to lay the framework for how this game will be called. Not a time to let the coaches ask questions and try to trap you...

Wrong/right?
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:50am
Never Stop Learning

I don't ask the captains or the coaches if they have any questions. I agree that this is just opening up a can of worms.

Last edited by Ed Maeder; Mon Jan 22, 2007 at 03:04am.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 08:58am
Courageous When Prudent

If I'm just doing the "Good luck" quickie I don't ask. But when I have a coach for the very 1st time I usually say "Coach, don't forget your box and let us know about time-outs. Do you have anything for us?" It's has yet to lead me into any traps.

I do not use the coaches' or captains' meetings to "lay the framework for how this game will be called". I do that with my partner(s) in our pre-game.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Jan 22, 2007 at 09:03am.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindofficial
Am I wrong in here? I can't stand it when my partner is giving pregame and he starts out with "Coaches, do you have any questions?" Isn't that one of the worst things you can ask? That just opens up a can of worms. Pregame is not a question/answering session, right? I look at is the time for you to lay the framework for how this game will be called. Not a time to let the coaches ask questions and try to trap you...

Wrong/right?
Wrong (IMO). It's a chance for them to clear up any confusion about the court (is it the dark blue line or the light blue line?), the length of the half-time (since the dancers are performing, it will be 15 minutes?), etc. And, if they "try to trap you" it's better that both coaches are present.

I've had two questions this year -- one dealt with which specific line was the FT line; the other dealt with which specific lines delineated the coaching box.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Wrong/right?
Wrong.

I use it quite often. I've gotten a few questions. It's never opened a can of worms for me. The only thing it's ever open has been constructive dialogue.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:

Wrong/right?
I dont think there is a wrong or right to this. When you are the "R", you conduct your pregame in a manner that is fit for you. You will here tons of them as your career goes on, just take what you can and use it. I always ask the coaches if they have any questions as my last statement and they always tell me no. Then I say, good luck to you and your team!
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

I asked the coach, earlier this year, if he had any questions. He said, "Ya, just call it both ways." To that I replied, "was that a question coach?" He didnt answer and I turned around and walked off.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes its not what - but HOW - you say something.

A curt, monotone "Any Questions" could be misinterpreted and "open up that can".

Better: "Questions?, Comments? ... Lets Play!"
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 03:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliOne
I asked the coach, earlier this year, if he had any questions. He said, "Ya, just call it both ways." To that I replied, "was that a question coach?" He didnt answer and I turned around and walked off.

I like this better: I asked the coach, earlier this year, if he had any questions. He said, "Ya, just call it both ways." I turned around and walked off.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

I don't get get into asking the coach about if he has any questions during pre-game. That's a trap waiting to be stepped into. I will inform the player captains of which line we're playing tonight. I verbally encourage good sportsmanship and tell each captain they have been chosen for their leadership qualities and to respect each other out here tonight. We don't warn, we enforce. See you in 5 minutes.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

What about this?: I asked the coach, earlier this year, if he had any questions. Then I turned around and walked off.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 03:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

I ask the players if they have any questions about my sportsmanship speech. I do not specifically ask the coaches anything other than the "properly equipped" question. Frankly I see no need for any questions to be addressed at this meeting outside of what I listed. I cannot think of anytime someone actually asked a question either.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 04:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I cannot think of anytime someone actually asked a question either.

Peace
I had a coach ask me last Thursday, "Can you watch the hand-checks?" So being the smart-a$$ I am I asked "Do want me to watch them or do you want me to call them?" (seriously, I did). He responded "I trust your judgement". (turns out that was a lie b/c I had to T him up in the 3rd period b/c he apparently didn't trust nor like my judgement )