The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backcourt violation...maybe (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31058-backcourt-violation-maybe.html)

reffish Sat Jan 20, 2007 01:33pm

Backcourt violation...maybe

A1 is dribbling ball from BC to FC. A1 gets trapped by B1 and B2 at half court and sideline in FC. A1 does not go in BC, sees A2 on other side of jump circle, leans away from B1 and B2 and bounces ball to A2. Ball leaves hands, bounces in BC, bounces in FC and then A2 catches ball in FC. Call BC or play on?

mick Sat Jan 20, 2007 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by reffish
A1 is dribbling ball from BC to FC. A1 gets trapped by B1 and B2 at half court and sideline in FC. A1 does not go in BC, sees A2 on other side of jump circle, leans away from B1 and B2 and bounces ball to A2. Ball leaves hands, bounces in BC, bounces in FC and then A2 catches ball in FC. Call BC or play on?

Team A ball achieved front court.
Ball achieved back court, Then achieved front court.
Team A was first to touch ball, after ball achieved back court.
Back court violation.
Team B throw-in.

reffish Sat Jan 20, 2007 02:33pm

Did the ball acheive FC by touching FC? If so, how can you have BC if ball is in FC? Ref: 4-4 Art 2

JugglingReferee Sat Jan 20, 2007 02:36pm

Quote:

Violation. This was used in camps I went to help illustrate the over-and-back rule. It's a great example.

reffish Sat Jan 20, 2007 03:11pm

Clarify for me how it is BC if ball acheived FC status then A2 touched ball in FC.

mick Sat Jan 20, 2007 03:14pm

Quote:

Did the ball acheive FC by touching FC? If so, how can you have BC if ball is in FC? Ref: 4-4 Art 2

Yes, exactly.
The ball was touched by A in the front court, so that is where the throw-in for the back court violation would be given to Team B.;)

Mountaineer Sat Jan 20, 2007 03:36pm

Wasn't there another post with this exact question on it last week?

In Fed. the ball went into the back court - once it goes into back court, team A cannot be the first to touch. According to the way I read the rule, ball position has nothing to do with a BC violation - team A cannot be "first to touch" once the ball goes BC.

I don't personally agree with this, but that's the way the rule reads to me and the way I'd call the situation.

reffish Sat Jan 20, 2007 04:03pm

So, it does not matter that the ball bounced in FC , thus re-establishing FC status and then A2 touching ball in the FC? I understand if the ball only touches BC and then A2 touches ball. That is BC. According to Rule 4-4 Art. 2, the ball is FC if the ball touches FC. If ball is FC, how can the BC violation be called?

mick Sat Jan 20, 2007 05:30pm

Quote:

So, it does not matter that the ball bounced in FC , thus re-establishing FC status and then A2 touching ball in the FC? I understand if the ball only touches BC and then A2 touches ball. That is BC. According to Rule 4-4 Art. 2, the ball is FC if the ball touches FC. If ball is FC, how can the BC violation be called?

4-4-2 is about ball location.

Look at another rule, ...one about back court violations.
That should clear up your question.

Scrapper1 Sun Jan 21, 2007 09:12am

Quote:

If ball is FC, how can the BC violation be called?

Team A cannot be the first to touch the ball if they were also the last to touch it before it went into the backcourt. It doesn't matter where Team A touches it, frontcourt or backcourt. They just can't be the first to touch it after it goes into the backcourt.

reffish Sun Jan 21, 2007 03:37pm

Quote:

Team A cannot be the first to touch the ball if they were also the last to touch it before it went into the backcourt. It doesn't matter where Team A touches it, frontcourt or backcourt. They just can't be the first to touch it after it goes into the backcourt.
Even though the ball re-establishes its position in the FC by bouncing in the FC, A cannot touch the ball after the bounce in the FC? Okay.

Scrapper1 Sun Jan 21, 2007 04:00pm

Quote:

Even though the ball re-establishes its position in the FC by bouncing in the FC, A cannot touch the ball after the bounce in the FC? Okay.

Just to beat a dead horse, once the ball goes into the backcourt, its location is irrelevant when it is actually touched. Touched in the frontcourt, touched in the backcourt -- it doesn't matter. If Team A was the last to touch it before it went into the backcourt, then they cannot be the first to touch it.

kycat1 Sun Jan 21, 2007 06:14pm

Maybe not Backcourt violation!

Please review the information that I will paste below here about this rule maybe being reviewed by the rules committee next year!

I just now finally got a respnse from Mary Struckoff from NFHS Rules committee about this play that was strongly argued in the original post. Many of you said I was completely wrong and we agreed to disagree. I have copied Mary's reply and her interpretation of this ruling. please see below!

Sorry for the delay and thanks for your patience.

Actually, I have given this much thought and have been thinking about it for some time now.

I do believe the intent of the rule is that where the ball is touched is important. If it comes back to the frontcourt after touching the official in the backcourt and the offensive player regains control in the frontcourt, both have frontcourt status and no violation has occurred. They just got lucky that the ball hit the official and came back....that can be true of an errant pass about to fly out of bounds and hits the official and stays inbounds.....In order to be a violation, it must be touched in the backcourt.

I will run this by the committee in April to make sure they agree and see if they want to make any editorial changes to the rule itself.

Mary

Mary Struckhoff
NFHS Assistant Director
Basketball Rules Editor/National Interpreter

Scrapper1 Sun Jan 21, 2007 06:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kycat1
If it comes back to the frontcourt after touching the official in the backcourt and the offensive player regains control in the frontcourt, both have frontcourt status and no violation has occurred.

Mary

This just proves that nobody's perfekt. ;)

kycat1 Sun Jan 21, 2007 06:36pm

Who you or Mary??? LOL