The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   technical foul? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31003-technical-foul.html)

fan Thu Jan 18, 2007 03:47pm

technical foul?

Can anyone give me examples of technical fouls by nonplayers?

Thanks

PYRef Thu Jan 18, 2007 03:53pm

Do you mean non bench personnel ie:fans?

RookieDude Thu Jan 18, 2007 03:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan

Thanks

Bench personnel displaying unsportsmanlike conduct.
i.e.
"Hey, Ref...you suck!" or "Hey, Number 44...you are a *&(*#$#."

If you mean examples of fans in the stands...there are provisions for officials to "T" up the stands...but, we are told to be careful going there.

Ref Daddy Thu Jan 18, 2007 04:14pm

A coach is technically not a player ..... the list is found on other current threads about in this forum

Nevadaref Thu Jan 18, 2007 05:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan

Thanks

Since players are only the five team members who are legally in the game, everyone else in the gym is a nonplayer.

Any unsporting conduct out of someone who is part of one of the teams, such as a coach, manager, or stat person, would result in a technical foul against that team. Fans, spectators, or supporters in the crowd could also cost their team a T by their behavior, but it is quite rare. One such example was the crowd at the end of the St. Mary's vs. Gonzaga game. The home crowd stormed the court with 1.9 seconds still on the clock. This resulted in St. Mary's being charged with a technical foul.

WhistlesAndStripes Thu Jan 18, 2007 05:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Since players are only the five team members who are legally in the game, everyone else in the gym is a nonplayer.

Any unsporting conduct out of someone who is part of one of the teams, such as a coach, manager, or stat person, would result in a technical foul against that team. Fans, spectators, or supporters in the crowd could also cost their team a T by their behavior, but it is quite rare. One such example was the crowd at the end of the St. Mary's vs. Gonzaga game. The home crowd stormed the court with 1.9 seconds still on the clock. This resulted in St. Mary's being charged with a technical foul.

Actually, it was 1.0 second left on the clock.

Nevadaref Thu Jan 18, 2007 08:53pm

It's debatable how much time was left. It's also inconsequential.
When I watched the game, the player made the dunk with 1.9 on the clock and it initially stopped there (as it should have on a made goal in the final minute). When the crowd rushed the court, the clock started to run again. I think that the timer was just going to run it out. However, the officials blew their whistles and after the court was cleared, the T was called and the clock was reset to 1 second.

Ref Daddy Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan

Thanks

How about the cheerleaders on the floor during a 30 second time out - after a warning.

budjones05 Fri Jan 19, 2007 01:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
How about the cheerleaders on the floor during a 30 second time out - after a warning.

That happen tonight.....home coach wasnt happy with the T either....by the way does he loses his coaching box?

Nevadaref Fri Jan 19, 2007 02:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by budjones05
That happen tonight.....home coach wasnt happy with the T either....by the way does he loses his coaching box?

What?!?! You guys are told to assess a T if the cheerleaders come out during 30s? :eek: That's insane. There are only four 30s for the whole game. After the first time, can't you inform the cheer captain that she can't bring her squad out when the officials give this signal on a time-out (touching our shoulders)? That should take care of it.

budjones05 Fri Jan 19, 2007 04:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
What?!?! You guys are told to assess a T if the cheerleaders come out during 30s? :eek: That's insane. There are only four 30s for the whole game. After the first time, can't you inform the cheer captain that she can't bring her squad out when the officials give this signal on a time-out (touching our shoulders)? That should take care of it.

Well, it happend before and we warned them. And also it wasn't like their were on the sidelines, they were in the middle of the court.

PIAA REF Fri Jan 19, 2007 09:25am

PLease tell me your joking

Why the heck would you give a T. If it us such a big deal to you and you told them and that didn't work, then tell game management. The cheerleaders are for game management to deal with not us. That might be the weirdest T I have ever heard of.