The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coachs displaying players "injuries" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30978-coachs-displaying-players-injuries.html)

NathanRT Wed Jan 17, 2007 04:09pm

Coachs displaying players "injuries"

I have had this happen twice in the last couple weeks. I'm not really sure how to handle it as it had never happened to me before now. I have had two different coaches come up to us either at halftime or after the game and want to show us various bumps and bruises that their players have acquired throughout the game. Of course they could have easily gotten the marks from plays where a foul was called. Of course I'm sure that doesn't occur to them. :rolleyes: Any thoughts?

zebra44 Wed Jan 17, 2007 04:21pm

Offer to show him your appendectomy scar........:)

Nevadaref Wed Jan 17, 2007 04:23pm

Tell the coach that you are not a doctor and thus there is no need for him to consult with you about his player's injuries. :D

Seriously, smile and walk away.

Junker Wed Jan 17, 2007 04:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NathanRT
I have had this happen twice in the last couple weeks. I'm not really sure how to handle it as it had never happened to me before now. I have had two different coaches come up to us either at halftime or after the game and want to show us various bumps and bruises that their players have acquired throughout the game. Of course they could have easily gotten the marks from plays where a foul was called. Of course I'm sure that doesn't occur to them. :rolleyes: Any thoughts?

You gotta be kidding me. :( There's nothing you can do here but ignore it.

iref4him Wed Jan 17, 2007 04:26pm

Quote:

I never just talk to one coach in these type of situations. I always have both coaches form opposing teams present. It gets interesting sometimes. But you diffuse the situation.

Camron Rust Wed Jan 17, 2007 04:26pm

Quote:

Suggest that those players may wish to join the chess club instead of the basketball team!

Ref Daddy Wed Jan 17, 2007 04:28pm

Seen that too.

I tell them "we're watching closely, better get some ice on it".

If they keep it up I say: "You all know that contact is not always a foul"

Then get on with it.

JRutledge Wed Jan 17, 2007 04:32pm

Ignore him. Anything you say is likely going to become a shouting match. Injuries are apart of the game and if you called a foul the kid would still be hurt.

Peace

sj Wed Jan 17, 2007 04:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
...and if you called a foul the kid would still be hurt.

This is a concept which is genuinely hard for people to understand. Especially parents. It is just beyond their ability to comprehend it.

NathanRT Wed Jan 17, 2007 04:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
Ignore him. Anything you say is likely going to become a shouting match. Injuries are apart of the game and if you called a foul the kid would still be hurt.

Peace

That's pretty much what I've done. I can't think of much good that could have come from discussing it with him.

blindzebra Wed Jan 17, 2007 05:08pm

Offer to show him where you just had a hemorrhoid removed.

GarthB Wed Jan 17, 2007 05:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebra44
Offer to show him your appendectomy scar........:)

Or, your vasectomy scar.

mplagrow Wed Jan 17, 2007 05:35pm

I think of the line from <i>The Replacements.</i> "That's why they don't let girls play the game." Of course, that line doesn't work in girls' games.