The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Delay of game - end of 4th qtr (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30878-delay-game-end-4th-qtr.html)

Peach State Ref Sun Jan 14, 2007 02:18pm

Delay of game - end of 4th qtr

Less than 30 seconds in the 4th quarter. Team B leads by 5 points. After a made basket, Team A intentionally delays the game by knocking the ball away. An official administers the first delay of game warning against Team A. It was obvious that the delay was committed by Team A because they were out of timeouts and this action would cause the clock to stop.

I have to give credit to the Team A coach for using the current rules to his advantage. However, do you think that the NFHS should change the rule for actions described above and make this particular delay under 1 minute a technical foul? In essence, Team A was able to get an "extra" timeout since the clock stopped.

tomegun Sun Jan 14, 2007 02:32pm

No because most officials wouldn't call the technical anyway.

mick Sun Jan 14, 2007 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peach State Ref
Less than 30 seconds in the 4th quarter. Team B leads by 5 points. After a made basket, Team A intentionally delays the game by knocking the ball away. An official administers the first delay of game warning against Team A. It was obvious that the delay was committed by Team A because they were out of timeouts and this action would cause the clock to stop.

I have to give credit to the Team A coach for using the current rules to his advantage. However, do you think that the NFHS should change the rule for actions described above and make this particular delay under 1 minute a technical foul? In essence, Team A was able to get an "extra" timeout since the clock stopped.

Allow the clock to run for a while until it is determined that the ball is "clearly away".
Then stop the clock to get the ball, ... or not.
When the offense has the ball, start the 5-count.

Adam Sun Jan 14, 2007 04:24pm

My thoughts exactly; let the clock run and allow B all the time they need to go get the ball.
Also, if this happens with around 5 seconds left, you can go straight to the technical foul.

Peach State Ref Sun Jan 14, 2007 04:37pm

The ball was just not tipped. It was hit too far away from the paint to allow for the clock to continue running.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Also, if this happens with around 5 seconds left, you can go straight to the technical foul.

Snaqwell - Please explain this comment

Jurassic Referee Sun Jan 14, 2007 06:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells

Almost......:)

Just let the clock run out if the ball is loose- or even on a plane violation. If they interfere with the thrower in any way, you can call the immediate "T" with no previous warning.

Case book play 9.2.11COMMENT.

Adam Sun Jan 14, 2007 07:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peach State Ref
The ball was just not tipped. It was hit too far away from the paint to allow for the clock to continue running.
Snaqwell - Please explain this comment

Jurassic points you to the applicable case play that I slightly missed. You should try to avoid calling this if it's purpose is solely to stop the clock.

Why couldn't the clock run? Who loses out? The offending team. If the defense hits it that far, and they need the clock to stop, I'm letting it run. That advantage is clearly and specifically not allowed for this rule.