The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   The fouls are 4-0, you know. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30798-fouls-4-0-you-know.html)

Rich Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:07am

The fouls are 4-0, you know.

A shout out to imaref, who watched my partner and I work our BV game tonight, which was completed in about 65 minutes.

Tonight, my partner had a good line in the locker room after the game and I was laughing for quite a while over it.

After the third quarter, the fouls were 4-0 -- visitors had 4 and home had 0. Between quarters, the visiting coach wanted to complain a bit about what he thought was, in his words, "over the back." Now, the kid who got the ball from behind was about 6'5" and was going over a kid about 5'11". I had a great look at it. No contact. Just reaching over and getting the ball.

So, after I told the coach that the play was clean and I wasn't going to penalize the player for being tall, the coach said, with a thoughtful look and tone, "The fouls are 4-0, you know." I just ignored it at the time as typical coachspeak, him trying to work me for the next one.

After I told my partner of the comment in the locker room, he suggested this as a hypothetical response: "That's because we're homers, coach, and we want the other team to win."

OK, I guess you had to be there, but I found it hilarious at the time.

mplagrow Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:16am

Sometimes I'd like to look at the coach and say, "Would you like me to try to keep the score even, too?"

deecee Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:36am

ask -- if it was 4-0 the other way would he complain?

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Jan 12, 2007 02:20am

Or how about, "And now it's 5-0....WACK!!"

Nevadaref Fri Jan 12, 2007 02:27am

"Hey partner, we have math major on the sideline." :D

imaref Fri Jan 12, 2007 09:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
A shout out to imaref, who watched my partner and I work our BV game tonight, which was completed in about 65 minutes. "The fouls are 4-0, you know."

Hey Rich and Ken.....nice job last night! All we can be is consistent on our officiating! ("I don't count fouls....I just call 'em!") :rolleyes:

BktBallRef Fri Jan 12, 2007 09:20am

Quote:

"The fouls are 4-0, you know."

"That's because they haven't committed any fouls yet." :)

Ignats75 Fri Jan 12, 2007 09:24am

"I don't count them. I just call them."

For over the back: "Over is good. ON is bad."

SmokeEater Fri Jan 12, 2007 09:26am

Quote:

"The fouls are 4-0, you know."

My reply, Best you tell your players to stop fouling then Coach!:D

imaref Fri Jan 12, 2007 09:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignats75
"I don't count them. I just call them."

Yikes!:eek: An official who thinks like me????? Scary!!!!:o

Rich Fri Jan 12, 2007 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaref
Hey Rich and Ken.....nice job last night! All we can be is consistent on our officiating! ("I don't count fouls....I just call 'em!") :rolleyes:

Do you remember:

(1) The blatant travel missed in the first half? I was lead, off-ball, but I saw it peripherally as I was backing out as the ball neared the sideline. I told the coach the truth -- I was off ball and if we missed it, we're sorry. I just didn't have enough focus on it to be able to put air in the whistle and call it (it was there and it was gone) -- besides, it would've looked like hell with me calling it. Maybe.

I was on ball a few minutes later and got a blatant travel....just before the coach said it himself :)

(2) Me r-e-a-c-h-i-n-g out to almost halfcourt as the lead to get a foul near my sideline? I was out splitting my attention best I could when the visiting player almost had his arm removed on a steal attempt. I waited.....and then called the foul. Coach asked me what my partner was looking at -- I told him, "It's OK, we got it," and slid out of there. Partner was OK with me getting it -- I think he got straightlined.

Always working to get better and never quite perfect....

The only two "moments" of the game, as I remember, besides the one that started this thread.

imaref Fri Jan 12, 2007 09:55am

Rich....
No need to dwell on it! Overall....GOOD JOB! (GI.....GID.....GO).

I'd work with you guys anytime!

PEACE.....please!

Rich Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaref
Rich....
No need to dwell on it! Overall....GOOD JOB! (GI.....GID.....GO).

I'd work with you guys anytime!

PEACE.....please!

Not dwelling, certainly. I thought we called a good game.

Mountaineer Fri Jan 12, 2007 09:26pm

I love it when they don't have the fouls on the scoreboard . . . then I can say:

Hey coach, if you'd keep the fouls on the board I'd try my best to keep 'em even!

Ref Daddy Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
Or how about, "And now it's 5-0....WACK!!"

Post of the Week!!!!:D