The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you use the stop sign?
Yes, I use the stop sign 31 73.81%
No, I don't use the stop sign 10 23.81%
I haven't used it yet, but I will 1 2.38%
I have no opinion...I'm just JAFO 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 12:05am
Huck Finn

So, do you use it?

Of course, everybody should know my answer to this question. It is late and...I'm just saying.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Before I vote, I need to know what JAFO is.... or maybe I don't? I'm not sure...
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

I actually find it amusing you dislike it so much.

I have used a verbal stop sign many times with success, I have given a visual one a time or three too, and it's about 50/50 if it went to a T from there.

But I honestly don't see why it's a bad move to calmly make it clear to everyone in the gym that your limit is about to be met? If it stops the coach, it worked, if it didn't it showed you to have done all you could to remain in control and the coach looks like the jerk for running through the stop sign...that's a win-win, IMO.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra

I have used a verbal stop sign many times with success, I have given a visual one a time or three too, and it's about 50/50 if it went to a T from there.

But I honestly don't see why it's a bad move to calmly make it clear to everyone in the gym that your limit is about to be met? If it stops the coach, it worked, if it didn't it showed you to have done all you could to remain in control and the coach looks like the jerk for running through the stop sign...that's a win-win, IMO.
Agree completely.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

I don't use it. It's not so much a matter of dislike, it's just unnecessary.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 07:39am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra

It isn't that I dislike it so much; it is more that I think it is ridiculous - and robotic - to think that something like this will work all the time (or close to all the time).

Think about other parts of life and how you communicate. Also think about the fact that the stop sign occurs during an emotional time in the game. Would most people communicate with their spouse or significant other the same way all the time? I don't because I have to take my wife's mood into account as well as my mood and my delivery. It is very likely that those things are not the same every time. Would a prolific speaker speak to every audience the same? I don't think so, especially if you know that every audience is emotional and you don't always know what preceeded the emotional state.

How then, can I have a non confrontational delivery (of the stop sign) every time I use it, considering I could have had a crappy day at work or be in a bad mood? I could not feel well, not be happy with my partners or not be happy with myself. The receiving coach could have an infinite number of contributing factors to their state of mind. Is it really necessary for me to let everyone in the facility know that I'm "giving them the hand?" Plus, some officials are trying this method with a sub-varsity coach which is another animal anyway. Is there a better way to handle this situation that could result in a more positive way? I think so.
When all is said and done, if the coach earns a technical foul I will give him/her one without hesitation. I would like to think I didn't do anything to make the situation worse before this takes place.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Since you seem to dislike people using the stop sign, I was wondering how long it would take you to do the poll. BTW, surely you aren't comparing dealing with your wife to dealing with a coach.

I have never used the stop sign. When I've had enough, I simply tell the coach something along the lines of..."Coach, I've hear enough and we aren't going to discuss it anymore". I also tell my partners.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Before I vote, I need to know what JAFO is.... or maybe I don't? I'm not sure...
Research the movie, "Blue Thunder."

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have never used the stop sign. When I've had enough, I simply tell the coach something along the lines of..."Coach, I've hear enough and we aren't going to discuss it anymore". I also tell my partners.
I use it and what you said at the same time. Maybe, I'm a closet Italian as I talk with my hands. So I gesture the stop sign while I say, I've heard enough or something along those lines as well. I was told by a senior official that I respect that since every game is filmed, giving the stop sign shows on tape that you reasonably tried to address a coach's complaints before you slapped him with a T. (or just slapped him )