The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Sub for FT shooter (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30750-sub-ft-shooter.html)

tjchamp Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:32pm

Sub for FT shooter

A1 was fouled and awarded 2 free throws. After his first attempt, substitutes A6 and A7 are allowed in. Substitute A8 said he was going in for the shooter and remained at the table. As lead gives the ball to A1 for his second free throw he notices blood coming from A1's mouth. He directs A1 to leave the game. Can A's coach put in A9 to shoot the last free throw, instead of a8? If the he can, and a9 makes the free throw, can a8 be subbed in immediately for a9?

Adam Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:40pm

As far as I'm concerned, yes. No rules against changing the sub at the table.

HawkeyeCubP Wed Jan 10, 2007 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjchamp
A1 was fouled and awarded 2 free throws. After his first attempt, substitutes A6 and A7 are allowed in. Substitute A8 said he was going in for the shooter and remained at the table. As lead gives the ball to A1 for his second free throw he notices blood coming from A1's mouth. He directs A1 to leave the game. Can A's coach put in A9 to shoot the last free throw, instead of a8? If the he can, and a9 makes the free throw, can a8 be subbed in immediately for a9?

Yes. 3-3-6, 8-2, 3-3-1-c.

BillyMac Wed Jan 10, 2007 08:00pm

Not Sure

I'm not sure if this applies or not:

"You have to sit a tick. You don't have to play a tick".

Does the replacement for an injured or bloody player complicate this statement ?

deecee Wed Jan 10, 2007 08:05pm

i was thinking tick=bugs that bite and transport lyme disease

Scrapper1 Thu Jan 11, 2007 08:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee
i was thinking tick=bugs that bite and transport lyme disease

Especially when he talked about it being bloody!!

bob jenkins Thu Jan 11, 2007 08:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
I'm not sure if this applies or not:

"You have to sit a tick. You don't have to play a tick".

Does the replacement for an injured or bloody player complicate this statement ?

No, it doesn't (with the possible exception of a team with only 6 members, one leaves and before the clock starts another gets injured)

Nevadaref Thu Jan 11, 2007 09:07am

From this season's interps on the NFHS website:

SITUATION 11: A1 is injured during a play in which he/she was fouled. As a result, A1 cannot attempt the awarded free throws. A6 replaces A1 and attempts the free throws, which are successful. Team A then calls a time-out. At the conclusion of the time-out, (a) A1 is ready to play, or (b) A7 replaces A6. RULING: In (a), A1 may not re-enter the game until the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has properly started. Legal substitution in (b); A6 may leave the game at any time. Substitution restrictions only apply to being withdrawn and attempting to re-enter without the clock properly starting. (8-2; 3-3-4)