The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   The ultimate ball-watcher (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30741-ultimate-ball-watcher.html)

tomegun Wed Jan 10, 2007 09:31am

The ultimate ball-watcher

Last night I had a good chance to work on keeping a straight face and it happened during the JV game. I was sitting in a corner of the gym watching the game and saw an official who was watching the ball big time! The ball was up around the three point line and he was on the end line right in front of me. He is about 6'2" (this must matter). I'm sitting there looking at him and this little girl runs across the court literally 4-7 feet in front of him. I don't mean she barely goes across the corner of the court, she nearly cuts diagonally from two steps below the free throw line extended to almost through the paint. Guess what? He didn't see her! He didn't see her! He was watching the ball so much that he didn't see this little girl and didn't stop the game for safety. Unbelievable!

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 10, 2007 09:49am

There should be a tape of that one..and it should be mandatory viewing for everybody.

Oh....my.....

Junker Wed Jan 10, 2007 09:53am

You should have said hi since you were at my game...oh wait, my crew are all only about 6'.:D

Nevadaref Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:11am

I must be off to one of "those" days. I read tomegun's post and thought while it's not good to be unaware of someone cutting through your area, was it really a big deal? What did the girl do? Did she foul someone or do anything illegal? He didn't say.

Then it dawned on me that this "little girl" that he mentioned wasn't one of the players in the game! :eek: :o

mick Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:36am

Great game concentration, but short on awareness. :)

SmokeEater Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:01am

I don't think he held his Stop Sign up long enough for the young lass. :D

drinkeii Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I must be off to one of "those" days. I read tomegun's post and thought while it's not good to be unaware of someone cutting through your area, was it really a big deal? What did the girl do? Did she foul someone or do anything illegal? He didn't say.

Then it dawned on me that this "little girl" that he mentioned wasn't one of the players in the game! :eek: :o

I had one of these happen a few days ago - not missing it, but having a little kid out on the floor that wasn't supposed to be.

I've had dogs before at soccer games, too - had to stop the game and wait until the parent came and collected their pet that got loose. At least no one got bitten!

tomegun Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeEater
I don't think he held his Stop Sign up long enough for the young lass. :D

Dang it, that's what I should have told him. He could have held up his stop sign and I'm sure the little girl would have stopped in her tracks! :rolleyes:

Mark Padgett Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by drinkeii
I've had dogs before at soccer games

You mean for lunch? YUCCH! :p

Jimgolf Wed Jan 10, 2007 01:16pm

Now if A1 dribbled the ball off of the little girl's head, and it went out of bounds, what would be the correct call?

Sorry, I won't do that again.