The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2 man crew positioning on free throws (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30704-2-man-crew-positioning-free-throws.html)

joe b Mon Jan 08, 2007 03:48pm

2 men crew positioning on free throws

what is the correct positioning on free throws for 2 men crews ... i

Adam Mon Jan 08, 2007 04:05pm

The trail should be opposite the table. I generally stand about two feet onto the court, at about the free throw line extended.

Lead is table side. It dawned on me last Saturday that as lead, I’m standing too close to the players in two-whistle.

The shot goes up, and comes down and hits B1 on the head and flies out of bounds. It was so smooth a motion, I assumed the basket was made and waited for B to do the throwin. All the kids just stared at me for a second, and A1 finally says, “Our ball, right?” I can only assume it grazed the rim because I wasn’t looking up, and the trail didn’t have a whistle. I forgot to ask him about it after the game.

Time2Ref Mon Jan 08, 2007 04:07pm

Trail: Just behind the free-throw line extended, halfway between the nearer free-throw lane and the sideline (opposite the table)
Lead: approximately 4 feet from the nearer lane, well off the endline (table side)

crazy voyager Mon Jan 08, 2007 04:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Time2Ref
Trail: Just behind the free-throw line extended, halfway between the nearer free-throw lane and the sideline (opposite the table)
Lead: approximately 4 feet from the nearer lane, well off the endline (table side)

This is not true for FIBA.
The trail should be on the left side (facing the basket) not always opposite table.
Scince the trail always should try to run to the left in fiba mechanics the trail should also be posted to the left during FT's

Adam Mon Jan 08, 2007 04:46pm

FED stopped doing this "left side" thing almost 15 years ago.

FrankHtown Mon Jan 08, 2007 04:56pm

Of course, there is Texas:

For a shooting foul, the calling official goes trail, tableside (just like in 3 person), but is just a step or two above free throw line extended, a few feet in from the sideline. Lead is opposite table.

We started this 2 seasons ago...with the intent you can better communicate with the coach if there is a question. I don't think it is all that much of a benefit, because in 2 person you can't stay at the division line. As the Trail, you have the 10-second count, watching the shooter, watching the ball flight, two opposite for lane violations, rebounding, etc.

blindzebra Mon Jan 08, 2007 04:59pm

Most officials get too close to the side line as trail and too close to the lane as lead.

I get 6 feet from the side line and about 3 feet above the arch at that spot, that puts me about half way between the FT line and top of the key, as trail.

Lead should be off the floor about 4 feet from the near lane line.