The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 04:49am
Official Forum Member

Did anyone see the jersey grab from behind by Colin Falls of Notre Dame against West Virginia?

I was disappointed that the official did not call an intentional foul. I believe that this is the third example of this that I have seen so far this season in an NCAA game. I recall one in a Georgetown game earlier. I can't pinpoint the other.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a memo from the NCAA addressing this in the near future.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Girls JV game. Less than a minute left. Team B down by 2. Team A bringing the ball across midcourt when B1 chest bumps A1 out of bounds instead of going for the ball.

I immediately called an Intentional Foul. My partner(?) (15 yr experience know-it-all) questioned why I would've made it intentional. I've been an official for 4 years and I am continually amazed by the attitudes of some of the old timers.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
Girls JV game. Less than a minute left. Team B down by 2. Team A bringing the ball across midcourt when B1 chest bumps A1 out of bounds instead of going for the ball.

I immediately called an Intentional Foul. My partner(?) (15 yr experience know-it-all) questioned why I would've made it intentional. I've been an official for 4 years and I am continually amazed by the attitudes of some of the old timers.
I wasn't there, but as I envision the play in my mind's eye I'd ask the same question. Are you sure B1 wasn't trying to draw a charge knowing that the worst that would happen would be a foul and a stopped clock?
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Nope. To draw a charge would've required her to try and stop in a semblance of LGP. When she made contact, with her chest, it was on the girl's shoulder. Not even close. The football coach in the stands probably wanted to use the film to demonstrate how to go THROUGH the opponent.