The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How patient is too patient? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30616-how-patient-too-patient.html)

PYRef Thu Jan 04, 2007 08:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by iref4him
I had a game where B1 stoled the ball at midcourt from A1. There was a bumb, I sucked on my whistle.

Rainmaker...where are you?? I thought you were designated Mrs. Annoying Grammar Girl for today?:)

rainmaker Thu Jan 04, 2007 09:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PYRef
Rainmaker...where are you?? I thought you were designated Mrs. Annoying Grammar Girl for today?:)

No, I said I'm NOT Ms. Annoying Grammar Gal. I just chime in and get annoying occasionally when I'm in a bad mood or something strikes me funny. Sorry to disappoint you. And by the way, I'm way too big and too old to be a "girl." If I'm acting immature enough that you don't feel comfortable calling me a woman, then "gal" is fine.

PYRef Thu Jan 04, 2007 09:21pm

A thousand pardons Ma'am.
I shall now flagellate myself with a wet noodle!:(

Adam Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PYRef
I shall now xxxxxxlate myself with a wet noodle!:(

Dude, can we say that in a public forum. FCC?

PYRef Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:45am

Dude, it's all good. (Did I really say dude?)

American Heritage Dictionary
flag·el·late (flāj'ə-lāt') Pronunciation Key
tr.v. flag·el·lat·ed, flag·el·lat·ing, flag·el·lates

1. To whip or flog; scourge.
2. To punish or impel as if by whipping.

Scrapper1 Fri Jan 05, 2007 09:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by iref4him
Bob Herrold said it best.. "Basketball is a non-contact sport with contact!"

I'm not familiar with Bob Herrold, but his statement is nonsensical. It's like talking about unleaded gasoline with lead in it. Or sugar-free gum with sugar in it. Not only did he NOT say it best, what he did say is meaningless.

And even if I fully understood what Bob Herrold was saying (and I honestly don't), the rulebook specifically defines the contact that is inherent in the game ("incidental contact"). It is a contact sport. That doesn't make it football, but it's not golf either.

Junker Fri Jan 05, 2007 09:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Frank, with all due respect, you started three threads in the past three years about having a patient whistle. Is it consuming you? :)

Honestly, it sounds to me like you're calling your game and you're calling it consistently. Stop worrying about what the coaches are saying. They're going to gripe either way. Continue as you have been, applying advantage/disadvantage and I believe you'll be fine!

Well said. Ignore the coaches unless they are asking a question.

biz Fri Jan 05, 2007 09:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
basketball is a contact sport, not a collision sport.

This is the best way to describe basketball. How can anyone truly say basketball is not a contact sport?