The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

An exotic foul, or nothing?

Boys JV tonight. I have an off-ball foul against white at the same time my partner whistles a on-ball foul against white. Looking through the list in 4-19 of some of the more exotic fouls, the closest fit is the very exotic-sounding false multiple foul.

ART. 11 . . . A multiple foul is a situation in which two or more teammates commit personal fouls against the same opponent at approximately the same time.

ART. 12 . . . A false multiple foul is a situation in which there are two or more fouls by the same team and the last foul is committed before the clock is started following the first, and at least one of the attributes of a multiple foul is absent.

We had two fouls by the same team, the second committed before the clock started following the first, and one of the attributes of a multiple foul (namely both fouling the same player) was absent. That seems like it fits the definition.

At least one could argue that it fits the definition.

What we actually did is got together, made an determination as to which foul happened first, and went with that one. I believe that was the correct thing to do since one of the fouls had to have happened first, which created dead ball (there was no shot, nor act of shooting). And once the ball is dead, the second foul is ignored since it was neither intentional nor flagrant.

Agree or disagree?
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 02:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Agree, nice job. No sense in compounding the issue.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 03:11am
Official Forum Member

You realize that if you had chosen to penalize them both, you would have had a triple foul.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 03:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
You realize that if you had chosen to penalize them both, you would have had a triple foul.
Huh? Meaning the two on the floor and the one on the coach?
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 03:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Huh? Meaning the two on the floor and the one on the coach?
Yep.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 03:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yep.
True dat. He was a little tightly wound at that point in the game.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Boys JV tonight. I have an off-ball foul against white at the same time my partner whistles a on-ball foul against white. Looking through the list in 4-19 of some of the more exotic fouls, the closest fit is the very exotic-sounding false multiple foul.

ART. 11 . . . A multiple foul is a situation in which two or more teammates commit personal fouls against the same opponent at approximately the same time.

ART. 12 . . . A false multiple foul is a situation in which there are two or more fouls by the same team and the last foul is committed before the clock is started following the first, and at least one of the attributes of a multiple foul is absent.

We had two fouls by the same team, the second committed before the clock started following the first, and one of the attributes of a multiple foul (namely both fouling the same player) was absent. That seems like it fits the definition.

At least one could argue that it fits the definition.

What we actually did is got together, made an determination as to which foul happened first, and went with that one. I believe that was the correct thing to do since one of the fouls had to have happened first, which created dead ball (there was no shot, nor act of shooting). And once the ball is dead, the second foul is ignored since it was neither intentional nor flagrant.

Agree or disagree?
I'd say your sitch fit the definition of a false multiple foul, not an exotic foul. To have an exotic foul, I think there has to be either a pineapple or a little umbrella or a palm tree involved. That being said, what you did was the politic and pragmatic thing to do.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 11:00am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I'd say your sitch fit the definition of a false multiple foul, not an exotic foul. To have an exotic foul, I think there has to be either a pineapple or a little umbrella or a palm tree involved. That being said, what you did was the politic and pragmatic thing to do.
If the game was at the Playboy Mansion then BITS would have had an erotic foul.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Good point. I hadn't considered that this might have been a typo.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 11:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
If the game was at the sewage disposal plant, BITS would have had a fragrant foul.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 11:38am
In Memoriam

Quote:
If the game was played in a pyschiatrist's office, BITS would have had a neurotic foul.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 11:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
To have an exotic foul, I think there has to be either a pineapple or a little umbrella or a palm tree involved.
Or a chicken sitting under a palm tree drinking a MaiTai with a little umbrella in it from a pineapple....
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

You basketball guys crack me up...us baseball guys only get this creative in the off-season.

S
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

We're bored! There's been a break, remember. Actually, many of our esteemed members are this "creative" all the time. Kind of frightening isn't it!
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I believe that the triple foul might just be the least common multiple foul. Sorry, couldn't resist. I used to teach math.