The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   An exotic foul, or nothing? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30589-exotic-foul-nothing.html)

Back In The Saddle Wed Jan 03, 2007 02:20am

An exotic foul, or nothing?

Boys JV tonight. I have an off-ball foul against white at the same time my partner whistles a on-ball foul against white. Looking through the list in 4-19 of some of the more exotic fouls, the closest fit is the very exotic-sounding false multiple foul.

ART. 11 . . . A multiple foul is a situation in which two or more teammates commit personal fouls against the same opponent at approximately the same time.

ART. 12 . . . A false multiple foul is a situation in which there are two or more fouls by the same team and the last foul is committed before the clock is started following the first, and at least one of the attributes of a multiple foul is absent.

We had two fouls by the same team, the second committed before the clock started following the first, and one of the attributes of a multiple foul (namely both fouling the same player) was absent. That seems like it fits the definition.

At least one could argue that it fits the definition.

What we actually did is got together, made an determination as to which foul happened first, and went with that one. I believe that was the correct thing to do since one of the fouls had to have happened first, which created dead ball (there was no shot, nor act of shooting). And once the ball is dead, the second foul is ignored since it was neither intentional nor flagrant.

Agree or disagree?

Adam Wed Jan 03, 2007 02:25am

Agree, nice job. No sense in compounding the issue.

Nevadaref Wed Jan 03, 2007 03:11am

You realize that if you had chosen to penalize them both, you would have had a triple foul. :eek:

Back In The Saddle Wed Jan 03, 2007 03:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
You realize that if you had chosen to penalize them both, you would have had a triple foul. :eek:

Huh? Meaning the two on the floor and the one on the coach? :cool:

Nevadaref Wed Jan 03, 2007 03:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Huh? Meaning the two on the floor and the one on the coach? :cool:

Yep. :) <more text>

Back In The Saddle Wed Jan 03, 2007 03:20am

Quote:

Yep. :) <more text="">

True dat. He was a little tightly wound at that point in the game.
</more>

rainmaker Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Boys JV tonight. I have an off-ball foul against white at the same time my partner whistles a on-ball foul against white. Looking through the list in 4-19 of some of the more exotic fouls, the closest fit is the very exotic-sounding false multiple foul.

ART. 11 . . . A multiple foul is a situation in which two or more teammates commit personal fouls against the same opponent at approximately the same time.

ART. 12 . . . A false multiple foul is a situation in which there are two or more fouls by the same team and the last foul is committed before the clock is started following the first, and at least one of the attributes of a multiple foul is absent.

We had two fouls by the same team, the second committed before the clock started following the first, and one of the attributes of a multiple foul (namely both fouling the same player) was absent. That seems like it fits the definition.

At least one could argue that it fits the definition.

What we actually did is got together, made an determination as to which foul happened first, and went with that one. I believe that was the correct thing to do since one of the fouls had to have happened first, which created dead ball (there was no shot, nor act of shooting). And once the ball is dead, the second foul is ignored since it was neither intentional nor flagrant.

Agree or disagree?

I'd say your sitch fit the definition of a false multiple foul, not an exotic foul. To have an exotic foul, I think there has to be either a pineapple or a little umbrella or a palm tree involved. That being said, what you did was the politic and pragmatic thing to do.

Raymond Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
I'd say your sitch fit the definition of a false multiple foul, not an exotic foul. To have an exotic foul, I think there has to be either a pineapple or a little umbrella or a palm tree involved. That being said, what you did was the politic and pragmatic thing to do.

If the game was at the Playboy Mansion then BITS would have had an erotic foul.

rainmaker Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef

Good point. I hadn't considered that this might have been a typo.

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:37am

Quote:

If the game was at the sewage disposal plant, BITS would have had a fragrant foul.

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:38am

Quote:

If the game was played in a pyschiatrist's office, BITS would have had a neurotic foul.

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
To have an <font color = red>exotic foul</font>, I think there has to be either a pineapple or a little umbrella or a palm tree involved.

Or a chicken sitting under a palm tree drinking a MaiTai with a little umbrella in it from a pineapple....

Striker991 Wed Jan 03, 2007 01:19pm

You basketball guys crack me up...us baseball guys only get this creative in the off-season.

S

refnrev Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:06pm

We're bored! There's been a break, remember. Actually, many of our esteemed members are this "creative" all the time. Kind of frightening isn't it!

mplagrow Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:36pm

Quote:

I believe that the triple foul might just be the least common multiple foul. :D Sorry, couldn't resist. I used to teach math.