The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   last second shot (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30483-last-second-shot.html)

ripcord51 Wed Dec 27, 2006 06:56pm

last second shot

What is the correct mechanic for a last second shot signal? I have seen it done many different ways. How about the difference for a two vs a three?

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 27, 2006 06:59pm

Could you be more specific? Do you mean should you signal when it is still in the air to signify that if it goes, it's good - or do you mean what signal to use after it goes in to signify that it's good? Thanks.

bigdogrunnin Wed Dec 27, 2006 07:00pm

More information please . . . maybe provide a situation or scenario.

Adam Wed Dec 27, 2006 07:01pm

What specifically are you asking? No signal is needed until the horn sounds. Then, you either wave off the shot (if it was too late) or wait to see if it goes in. If it goes in, most will do the "count-the-bucket" motion or signal the touchdown.

Back In The Saddle Wed Dec 27, 2006 07:15pm

The way I was taught to do it goes like this:
  1. Trail extends his arm toward the lead with a fist, thumb on top.
  2. Lead mirrors the signal back to the trail.
  3. Trail and lead simultaneously pump the fist up and down three times.
  4. After the third pump, each partner chooses and displays either rock, paper, or scissors.
  5. Loser buys.
But it may say something different in the manual :cool:

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 27, 2006 07:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
The way I was taught to do it goes like this:
  1. Trail extends his arm toward the lead with a fist, thumb on top.
  2. Lead mirrors the signal back to the trail.
  3. Trail and lead simultaneously pump the fist up and down three times.
  4. After the third pump, each partner chooses and displays either rock, paper, or scissors.
  5. Loser buys.
But it may say something different in the manual :cool:

Saw a t-shirt last week:

"ROCK IS DEAD - LONG LIVE PAPER AND SCISSORS!" :D

Back In The Saddle Wed Dec 27, 2006 07:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Saw a t-shirt last week:

"ROCK IS DEAD - LONG LIVE PAPER AND SCISSORS!" :D

The way I heard it, paper was the killer, but scissors is covering for him.

Unrelated, but amusing -- from Wikipedia:
In 2006, Federal Judge Gregory Presnell from the Middle District of Florida ordered opposing sides in a lengthy court case to settle a trivial (but lengthily debated) point over the appropriate place for a deposition using the game of rock-paper-scissors.<sup id="_ref-0" class="reference">[2]</sup> The ruling in Avista Management v. Wausau Underwriters stated:
<table style="border-style: none; border-collapse: collapse; background-color: transparent;" class="cquote" align="center" cellpadding="10"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="20">
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...px-Cquote1.png
</td> <td>Upon consideration of the Motion – the latest in a series of Gordian knots that the parties have been unable to untangle without enlisting the assistance of the federal courts – it is ORDERED that said Motion is DENIED. Instead, the Court will fashion a new form of alternative dispute resolution, to wit: at 4:00 P.M. on Friday, June 30, 2006, counsel shall convene at a neutral site agreeable to both parties. If counsel cannot agree on a neutral site, they shall meet on the front steps of the Sam M. Gibbons U.S. Courthouse, 801 North Florida Ave., Tampa, Florida 33602. Each lawyer shall be entitled to be accompanied by one paralegal who shall act as an attendant and witness. At that time and location, counsel shall engage in one (1) game of "rock, paper, scissors." The winner of this engagement shall be entitled to select the location for the 30(b)(6) deposition to be held somewhere in Hillsborough County during the period July 11-12, 2006.<sup id="_ref-1" class="reference">[3]</sup></td> <td valign="bottom" width="20">

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Mregor Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:37pm

On a shot at the horn and if it is my clock, I either put my hand up (unless it's already up marking a 3-pt attempt) or wipe the shot. If it goes, hammer it down with the whistle. If it doesn't go, just sound the whistle when it is apparent the try is unsuccessful. If there is no try, just raise your hand with the whistle. That's my $.02.

Mregor

ripcord51 Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:23pm

Why do some officials windmill their arm when the ball is still in the air? While others do not?

Adam Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:49pm

Never seen the windmill. Have to think it would look silly.

mbyron Thu Dec 28, 2006 09:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripcord51
Why do some officials windmill their arm when the ball is still in the air? While others do not?

That's not a NFHS mechanic.

Mark Padgett Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron
That's not a NFHS mechanic.

I think the windmill is a FEEBLE mechanic in Holland. Just like throwing up both arms in surrender is a FEEBLE mechanic in France. :p