The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Rinky Dink Gym

I just got back from my 8th grade boys game. This gym is only about 60' x30' with 10 sec. line at 30' but once crossed half court goes back to the top of the key in the bc. Only one foot between the end line and wall. The kids and coaches were all good, but Geeez... things happen fast. Does anyone else have any nightmare gyms?
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

I've been in those type of gyms...the worst, if you wore anything above a size 7 shoe you couldn't shoot a 3 from the corner.

Did rec ball at a fitness center where you had about 4 inches between the OOB line and the wall...to make matters worse, one side was glass and the thigh and buns machines were right outside, quite a distraction.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

My first year, I had a game in the Auxiliary gym of a Dallas ISD high school. It was actually a jr. high tournament being played there. Most DISD high school main gyms are, well, terrible, but this one was easily the worst I've been in. Its small, similar to what you described, and no seating. Luckily, there is somewhat ample room on the sidelines and baselines -- about 6-8 feet or so to the walls. Not ideal, or even decent, but workable. Every so-called fan was SRO. Fortunately, we didn't have any problems with that.

The main problem was they didn't have a scoreboard. Nor did they have a horn. I gave the girl doing the hand timing thing a whistle and told her to blow it when the time ran down. She did (I guess), but couldn't blow loud enough for anyone to hear. I had to look at her constantly when I thought we were getting close.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

exactly... there's 6" between the 3 point line and out of bounds. Everything is packed in so close I could hardly see anything. Baseline inbounds passes were the worst. There's just no room to play.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

There is a HIGH SCHOOL in Louisiana (don't remember the name, sorry), that actually has POSTS INSIDE the playing boundaries. You have to avoid the posts while calling and playing the game. Private school, using a converted facility, but JEEZ, can you imagine the screens you can set??

We do have one private school nearby that I work on occasion that is really short (75') and narrow (40') and the stands are all the way to the sideline boundary. They even have a stage at one end of the floor where the preacher stands on Sunday. And instead of wood, they have those hard, interlocking plastic tiles that KILL your feet and legs! Dislike the facility, but the coaches are really great!
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSS
exactly... there's 6" between the 3 point line and out of bounds. Everything is packed in so close I could hardly see anything. Baseline inbounds passes were the worst. There's just no room to play.
That makes it 40' wide, BTW.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 12:19pm

......those hard, interlocking plastic tiles that KILL your feet and legs!

My understanding is that the guy who invented these things is in the Gulag in Siberia right where he belongs. His cell mate is the guy who invented those hard rubbered floors back in the 1970s.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

I've officiated in a gym that was really short in width and in length. You could only shoot a 3 pointer at the top of the key because around free throw line extended the 3 point line stopped at the OOB line! You could not shoot a very high arching shot because it would hit the ceiling. It was awful because you had to "watch the ball" at the top of the shot, which means less eyes on the rebounding. This was a mens league which also meant more physical play because of less room. Needless to say I didn't go back there.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Alot of gym's I've had in the past that were that small had use of a restraining line. Certainly helpful when inbounding on sideline with peoples feet on the court.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 01:22pm
Huck Finn

Dematha high school (Hyattsville Maryland) is one of the most legendary programs in the US (currently ranked nationally) and they play in a cracker box. They have terrible parking and the spectators in the front row often have their feet inbounds. All of this with many large players on the court that will be in D1 programs. It is nothing like what I thought their gym would be. The assigner even tells officials to be early so they can get a parking spot.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 01:35pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
The main problem was they didn't have a scoreboard. Nor did they have a horn. I gave the girl doing the hand timing thing a whistle and told her to blow it when the time ran down. She did (I guess), but couldn't blow loud enough for anyone to hear. I had to look at her constantly when I thought we were getting close.
Wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
There is a HIGH SCHOOL in Louisiana (don't remember the name, sorry), that actually has POSTS INSIDE the playing boundaries. You have to avoid the posts while calling and playing the game. Private school, using a converted facility, but JEEZ, can you imagine the screens you can set?
There was one in Iowa, not too long ago, that had ceiling supports in the court as well.

My least favorite was (in Iowa again) working on a stage. Short court? Yes. Restraining lines? 3 of them. 8 feet off of one sideline the stage dropped down (about 4 feet) to the theater front row? Yes. To be fair, this was their "old" gym, and they had built a new one in the early '80's - but still used this for the nearby middle school.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

I worked in a local gym calling some rec ball. The court is tiny as it is. But there is a low balcony that overhangs one end of the floor. It's low enough that it prevents the thrower from making long passes over the defender. So they've got a broken line a few feet inbounds that serves as the OOB line for throw-ins.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
Wow.

There was one in Iowa, not too long ago, that had ceiling supports in the court as well.

My least favorite was (in Iowa again) working on a stage. Short court? Yes. Restraining lines? 3 of them. 8 feet off of one sideline the stage dropped down (about 4 feet) to the theater front row? Yes. To be fair, this was their "old" gym, and they had built a new one in the early '80's - but still used this for the nearby middle school.
What part of Iowa did you work? I work in Central Iowa for the most part. I had to work with restraining lines once last season (I went up north to help a buddy out). Luckily my partner explained the rules to me. I had never used them before.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 01:54pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
What part of Iowa did you work? I work in Central Iowa for the most part. I had to work with restraining lines once last season (I went up north to help a buddy out). Luckily my partner explained the rules to me. I had never used them before.
I worked in Southeast/Central-ish Iowa. I was in the Iowa City Area Officials' Association from '02-'05. Worked all over the place in basketball and football.

I sure don't miss 2.5 hour drives one-way to get to games (or working on a theater stage), but I do miss the gyms/stands being consistently, completely packed every Friday night in both sports. Slightly different animal out here in Bay Area, CA.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 01:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Never worked Grand View HS in Des Moines, Jeff? They've got restraining lines, too. Partner ended up calling about 4 violations on the offense for having a second player OOB (behind the restraining line) during a spot throwin. Three were on the home team. I grew up with restraining lines, but I hear they have a new gym at my old school now.