The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 09:16am
M.A.S.H.

Would you change it?

Someone asked me this question a few weeks ago and well... it's a slow and ready to get outta here day at work. Sooooooo.....

Assistant coach for Team B gets whacked with a T. As you are going to report it, he threatens you with the "you'll never work here again" statement.

Here's the question: would you consider changing this to a flagrant technical or sticking him again?
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Stick him again. He's an assistant. He shouldn't have been talking to you in the first place. Besides, if he's getting ejected as an assitsant, it might be his job that is in jeapordy. Most head coaches don't appreciate their assistants costing 4 free throws and the ball.

Last edited by Junker; Fri Dec 22, 2006 at 09:23am.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 09:24am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Someone asked me this question a few weeks ago and well... it's a slow and ready to get outta here day at work. Sooooooo.....

Assistant coach for Team B gets whacked with a T. As you are going to report it, he threatens you with the "you'll never work here again" statement.

Here's the question: would you consider changing this to a flagrant technical or sticking him again?
You whack him again while saying, very loudly, "And neither will you!"
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 09:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
You whack him again while saying, very loudly, "And neither will you!"
Agreed, except for the extraneous comment used while whacking him. Never give 'em anything that they can use in a report. Just "T" him up and write him up- without showing any emotion or making any comments.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 09:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Agreed, except for the extraneous comment used while whacking him. Never give 'em anything that they can use in a report. Just "T" him up and write him up- without showing any emotion or making any comments.
Unless, of course, you don't want to work there any more.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

I have had this happen to me. I whacked the assitant twice for basically the same scenario. He got ejected. He was written up. He was also the head coach's best friend. Guess what? I never worked at that school again.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1

Hmm...someone didn't have the holiday spirit?

I used to think that was something best to ignore, considering most schools hire their own officials, I don't want to get on a school's bad side, etc.

Now, it's an easy T. There are plenty of schools where I can work. That type of behavior cannot and should not be tolerated. I have told a coach in the past who said something like that to me to go ahead and send the tape of the game into the IHSA if the game was officiated that badly. Funny, not only did the tape never get sent in, but I still work at that school.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 10:26am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Ooops, did I forget a smiley face.

Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

TWEET! Second "T"!

Me (to the Head Coach): "Coach, your coaching box privileges are no longer in effect, and I will need your assistant coach to leave the gymnasium please. Thank you."

JR is right. They already have to go answer to someone, who in turn is going to question everything that went on up to that point, and during it. Why give them additional ammunition to go after YOU with. Come in, call the game, apply the rules, get out, go home. Always do your best to remain nothing more than part of the game, nothing more, nothing less.

And, if a coach wants to scratch me, so be it. There are PLENTY of games to be had. Once heard a co-official tell a coach, after the coach made basically the same, "you'll never call here again" comment, "Coach, if you think I'm bad, wait until you see who they send next week." You should have seen who they sent. OMG, funniest thing I have seen on the floor in a long time. Coach didn't have any scratch requests after that either. Hmmmm . . .

Last edited by bigdogrunnin; Fri Dec 22, 2006 at 10:32am.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 10:29am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Hmm...someone didn't have the holiday spirit?
I guess not. I'm not exactly sure of all the details, but that was the question that was presented to me. I told him I thought it was a second easy T.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 10:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

In Iowa, we were told a few years ago if the coach threatened us (they were talking about ratings), it was an automatic T. Frankly, the threat never to work again is going to be classified as flagrant; even if it's the 2nd. Won't make a difference in the game, but it might to the state.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 10:47am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Ooops, did I forget a smiley face.

I was kinda wondering......

That didn't sound like you.