The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I was in a very similar room, except without the toilet and hot tub. So that made it an actual closet. And this was for a post-season HS assignment. Usually when I've worked at that school, they put us in one of the unused lockerooms, but since there were 4 teams there that night, all the lockerooms were being used, and that was the closest place they could find.

I've been in laundry rooms, while the uni's are being washed and dried. I've been in classrooms where there are no blinds on the windows. I've dressed in restrooms. I've been in all sorts of coaches' offices and teachers' lounges. I've come to appreciate the simple pleasures of our own locker room with a separate shower.

M&M, Sounds like you and I have been in some very similar places. RR
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
I was at a Jr. High School the other night and thankfully I didnt live but a block away. When I got to the gym, I asked where could I get dressed. The home coach informed me that he had lost his keys and that all of the doors were lock and I would have to go in the corner and get dressed. Needless to say I told him I would be right back and went to my house and got dressed!
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Another brandan sighting. How's it going, Dude? If I were doing a game a block away I'd have gone dressed and carrying my shoes! I always go to games in town already dressed in my uniform.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

My first varsity game we changed in the band room. While we are doing our pregame, one of my partners starts playing the drums. Later that year I had my second varsity game at a different school...we changed in the band room.

So far this year...
Jr. High games at a brand new school. They had us change in the PE equipment room right off the gym floor. The room was full of balls, nets, poles, Frisbees, plastic bowling pins, etc (you get the picture). It was also someone's office (desk, phone and computer). Anyway, we finish our games and as my partner is standing with just his underwear on, a cheerleader opens the door and asks if she can have a basketball to shoot with. My partner says, "Excuse me?". She looks at him and repeats the question. He again says, "Excuse me?". Finally, she realizes he's in his underwear and walks out (but doesn't shut the door).

High school. Had to change in the weight room. Used the Smith machine as a closet rod to hang up my pants and jacket. While sitting on a bench (used for bench press), I turned and banged my shin on a bar that's used when you do leg exercises (I did that at least four times that night).
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 08:30am
M.A.S.H.

A little hot water goes a long ways in my book, that's all I really ask for. Well, that and a place to access my POD.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Another brandan sighting. How's it going, Dude? If I were doing a game a block away I'd have gone dressed and carrying my shoes! I always go to games in town already dressed in my uniform.
Refnrev, Thanks for asking. I have been doing great. I am out of school for Christmas, thank God! Even when I do have in town games, for some reason, I dont like to go dressed, I rather get dressed at game site.

Brandan
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jalons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I can't say I've every heard of George. I will add that to my list of towns I tell announcers our crew is from.
Junker,

George-Little Rock won the Iowa Boys' Class 1A state basketball championship last year. They defeated Bellevue-Marquette. Central Lyon/George-Little Rock won the Class 2A football championship this season, defeating Solon.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 04:52pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I went to a Jr. High to work a girls game, and asked where we were to dress. The coaches huddled, then decided to put us in the girls PE locker room, "since school is out and nobody will go in there." It just so happened to be parent teacher conference day, and just as I was about to begin stripping down, in walks some 12 yo girl and her mother.
That's nothing!

A few years ago I moved 1 hour away and joined the local association. I was doing something like my 10th V game for this association at a gym in a small town outside of the main town. It was around Hallowe'en, so there were decorations everywhere. I walk into the gym very early and a student tells me where the changeroom is. So I'm in there by myself and I'm changing - almost in my birthday suit, when in comes a female student! She sees me, I have the deer look, and she acts as if nothing is going on. Turns out I was in the female changeroom. Decorations were covering the doors and I took the word of the first student which room was which.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
There's one small private school here in Portland where you actually have to duck down to get through one very short door, to walk into a sort of crawl space under the stairs, and stay ducking down as you then walk into the ref's changing room. It's not at all easy for anyone with claustrophobia. Once you get in there, you see a couple of sort of okay rooms with a shower.... and a door into the main dressing room!! They leave that door locked so that the players don't wander in on the refs.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 10:20pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I have the deer look
Here's a holiday joke on that subject. What did the other reindeer say to Rudolph after he landed on top of Santa?

You look like a deer caught in head lice.
Old Sat Dec 23, 2006, 03:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
There's one small private school here in Portland where you actually have to duck down to get through one very short door, to walk into a sort of crawl space under the stairs, and stay ducking down as you then walk into the ref's changing room.
You sure that you weren't in RockyRoad's office?
Old Sun Dec 24, 2006, 02:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
It's hit and miss here. I was at a school the other day that while I was in the brand-new shower (the shower head was literally at my chest) two girls walked in and went to the bathroom. Another school last night that was only about 7 yrs old and had a nice dressing room with lockers and a shower but was built for 2 officials. Now we have 3 varsity officials dressing in there and the 3 from the JV game came in while we were getting finished - they waited in the hall. We have another school that actually put some forethought into the officials locker room. It actually has nice furnature and looks like a country club locker room with several bathroom stalls and 2 showers, it has a clock inside that is sync'd to the floor clock and even has a sign on the door that says OFFICIALS and underneath has it written in braille!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sun Dec 24, 2006, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Not only the size of the officials room, but, we have a local
one and the difficulity is getting to it....
Down stairs, thru the boys locker room, thru the shower, and
into the small officials room.
After the j.v. game is completed and the guys are in the shower,
the varsity officials have the players shut the showers down so
they can pass..
One of my fellow officials rates the schools by the shower room itself.
Old Sun Dec 24, 2006, 01:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
There's one small private school here in Portland where you actually have to duck down to get through one very short door, to walk into a sort of crawl space under the stairs, and stay ducking down as you then walk into the ref's changing room. It's not at all easy for anyone with claustrophobia. Once you get in there, you see a couple of sort of okay rooms with a shower.... and a door into the main dressing room!! They leave that door locked so that the players don't wander in on the refs.
I worked a Christmas tournament last year -- 2 varsity games played back to back with 2 crews hired. We were given the room traditionally given to the JV officials -- a crawl space under a flight of stairs. Nice folks at the school, but the worst changing area I've had in 20 years. No shower nearby, either.
Old Sun Dec 24, 2006, 01:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
We have another school that actually put some forethought into the officials locker room. It actually has nice furnature and looks like a country club locker room with several bathroom stalls and 2 showers, it has a clock inside that is sync'd to the floor clock and even has a sign on the door that says OFFICIALS and underneath has it written in braille!
Must have been an official on the committee that designed it; nice.
And braille? Now that's funny, even if it was meant to appease the ADA requirements.