The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Wonder how thie ruling will come out (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30353-wonder-how-thie-ruling-will-come-out.html)

26 Year Gap Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:07pm

Wonder how thie ruling will come out

This happened in an area game last night. JV Coach is tossed & refuses to leave the gym. AD turtles and cannot be found. JV official goes to the coach who is seated in the bleachers and orders him out of the gym. He comes back and is standing in the doorway. JV Official tells him to leave the building. Which he finally does.

Varsity game. There is Mr. JV Coach sitting on the bench as an Asst. Coach. [I know, a Smart Asst. Coach]. The varsity officials were not sure what to do at that point. They have asked the interpreter. Not that it makes a difference but it was the visitors coach.

Has anyone seen that kind of situation before? I will let you know what our interpreter says.

Mark Dexter Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:20pm

Unless you have been told otherwise by the state/conference, I wouldn't penalize his team or require the coach to leave.

In CT, a coach who is ejected is required to sit out until the next game at the same level at which he was ejected. Therefore, an ejected JV (or freshman) coach is persona non grata at the varsity game. That said, the officials can't by rule require him to leave, but we will report the situation IMMEDIATELY after the game. Then let the state association take over.

26 Year Gap Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:22pm

They let him stay, but it is likely that the Vermont Principals Assn will suspend him for two games, which is the same penalty as for a player ejection.

Mark Dexter Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
They let him stay, but it is likely that the Vermont Principals Assn will suspend him for two games, which is the same penalty as for a player ejection.

Does VT have a policy like CT's? If so, I'd say that his suspension should be longer than normal.

26 Year Gap Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:42pm

If it is longer, then he will not be at the game I have in less than 2 weeks involving his team.

Adam Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:34pm

Quote:

This happened in an area game last night. JV Coach is tossed & refuses to leave the gym. AD turtles and cannot be found. JV official goes to the coach who is seated in the bleachers and orders him out of the gym. He comes back and is standing in the doorway. JV Official tells him to leave the building. Which he finally does.

Anyone consider forfeiting the game at this point?

Nevadaref Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:56am

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells

Yep, that's a forfeit.

10-5 Penalty Section
NOTE 2. A single flagrant foul, the second direct technical foul or the third technical (any combination of direct or indirect) charged to the head coach results in disqualification and ejection. Ejected adult bench personnel shall leave the vicinity (out of sight and sound) of the playing area immediately and are prohibited from any further contact (direct or indirect) with the team during the remainder of the game. Failure to comply with the rules of ejection may result in the game being forfeited.

RULE 5, SECTION 4 FORFEITURE, PROTEST, INTERRUPTED GAME
ART. 1 . . . The referee shall forfeit the game if a team refuses to play after being instructed to do so by any official. The referee may also forfeit a game if any player, team member, bench personnel or coach fails to comply with any technical-foul penalty, or repeatedly commits technical-foul infractions or other acts which make a travesty of the game. If the team to which the game is forfeited is ahead, the score at the time of forfeiture shall stand. If this team is not ahead, the score shall be recorded as 2-0 in its favor.

Nevadaref Thu Dec 21, 2006 01:01am

Quote:

Varsity game. There is Mr. JV Coach sitting on the bench as an Asst. Coach. [I know, a Smart Asst. Coach]. The varsity officials were not sure what to do at that point. They have asked the interpreter. Not that it makes a difference but it was the visitors coach.

Has anyone seen that kind of situation before? I will let you know what our interpreter says.

As Dexter said, this has to be entirely up to your local area regulations. The NFHS rules are written for the administration of a single game. There is no penalty in the book which carries over from one game to the next. The NFHS rules are simply not designed to apply to multiple games.

TimTaylor Thu Dec 21, 2006 06:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells

That was my thought also...........based on the description it would certainly be justifiable in this case.

26 Year Gap Thu Dec 21, 2006 06:59am

Official who called 2nd T was unpatched. Official who notified coach to leave just passed written test last month.

dblref Thu Dec 21, 2006 07:47am

Quote:

Official who called 2nd T was unpatched. Official who notified coach to leave just passed written test last month.

Why would this make a difference? Or did you post this part just to show they were inexperienced.

Ignats75 Thu Dec 21, 2006 08:18am

In Ohio Ejection carries 2 game suspension, but in a contradiction, a coach ejected in a JV game IS allowed back in the gym for the Varsity game. I'm not sure if the suspension is only after the paperwork required by the state is filed by the ejecting referee or if the school is required to suspend immediately.

In 4 years, I've only had to do the paperwork once and it was for a player. I later found out that she received a 2 week :eek: in school suspension due to the incident occurring while she was already on probation for other in-school incidents. But the 4=part form we use for ejections has two that go to the school (AD & principal). Some schools may wait for the paperwork to enforce the penalty.

tjones1 Thu Dec 21, 2006 08:28am

In Illinois, an ejection (usually) carries a one game suspension. The coach is not allowed to take part in any contest before he sits out a game at the level in which he was ejected.

TimTaylor Thu Dec 21, 2006 08:41am

In Oregon the ejection applies to the remainder of that day. They also get a suspension: 1st offense-1 game, 2nd offense-2 games, 3rd offense-rest of the season, and the school gets hit with an escalating monetary fine as well. Suspended coaches are not allowed to participate at any level in any sport for term of suspension.

bob jenkins Thu Dec 21, 2006 08:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Yep, that's a forfeit.

While the officials can choose to use the rule to declare a forfeit, I think they did the right thing by asking the coach to leave.