The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Best buds???

Last night, I was working a two-man game in a holiday tournament. The better officials are assigned these tournaments. My partner who was the 'R' did not do a very good pre-game. In fact it was: 1) cover your line and I will cover mine; 2) stay on your side of the court and I will do the same; 3) I won't call in front of you and don't call in front of me. The first half was uneventful, except he did call in front of me twice. Once I made the call at lead right in front of me on the baseline. Next was a bang bang play myself at lead, I had a foul and he said the guy traveled before the foul. Not to bad.

The second half, I could have put my whistle away except just to call OOB. It got really frustrating. BOth coaches were yelling at me because he was calling in front of me, etc., etc. He was calling over the whole court. His explanation to me after the game was he thought I was blocked out. I said maybe he watching the ball and not staying in his primary. He disagreed and was not to happy with my assessment. We have another game together in 10 days. Any suggestions on how to handle the up coming game with him again.

PS. He is one of the assignor's best friends.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 03:47pm
In Memoriam

Do the best you can and don't worry about it.

Get in, get done, get out.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

all you can do is tell him or ask him to stop -- if he doesnt there isnt much you can do except to not work with him again.

I have never really had this problem and usually a couple times when my partner has made a reach right in front of me at the first opportunity I ask him what he had -- then I ask him was he 100% sure -- the answer is always yes to that one. Then I ask him what were the other 3, 4, 6 X players doing while both of us were watching the same area? If he says I dont know then you respond with exactly because neither do you.

If i had a bad angle and he when he tells me what he saw and it makes sense then fine -- usually in plays that would be going away from me where the contact is better viewed from his side (more 3 man type stuff) other than that -- I ask him to at least hold his whistle for 1 or 2 seconds and unless he thinks a felony occured right in front of me to lay off.

who cares if hes the assignors best friends -- you have to tell thim that you need to work as a team and it should be his responsibility for him to help you if he thinks you are passing on calls that should be made -- if not hes not doing you any good or himself hes just showboating for the whole gym to see.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Simply tell him to give you the opportunity to make those calls that are in your primary. If you 'pass' on them, then that's your business and you can address the coach if needed. If halftime comes and goes w/o change then ask your assignor to not schedule you with this person because he's in everyone else's area other than his own. Not too many years ago, one would simply say, 'Stay the hel* out of my primary!' If the assignor has any concerns about putting quality officials out on the floor, he will probably have some type of 'conversation' with this guy.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iref4him
Last night, I was working a two-man game in a holiday tournament. The better officials are assigned these tournaments.
Really? Sure doesn't sound like it from your description.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by iref4him
My partner who was the 'R' did not do a very good pre-game.

Any suggestions on how to handle the up coming game with him again.
Yes.

Just because you aint R does not mean you should leave the locker room without a good pregame. Don't be shy about taking control of the pregame if it's not going the way you like it to. In fact, when you see him again you should pregame the points that bugged you the most the last time you worked. No need to make it personal, just discuss how you both should handle coverage areas and whatever else you need to settle. Then when he does something you both agreed shouldn't be done you can ask him about it at the next dead ball..."hey Chuck*, I thought we discussed this sitch during our pregame and we decided we would do it this other way...wha happened?"

* "Chuck" is a fictional character and any similarity to any person living, dead or vanished is purely coincidental.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2006, 07:22am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref

* "Chuck" is a fictional character and any similarity to any person living, dead or vanished is purely coincidental.
Is this fictional person of yours short?