The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

What would you do?

I am working a two man game. I am the 'L'. The ball is in the front court in 'T' primary. Visiting team is down by 1 point and with 25 seconds left to go in the game. The visiting team has the ball. The home team is in a tight 2-3 zone. The guard on the visiting team has a little defensive pressure on him. He is dribbling the ball and falls down, but continues to dribble the ball. He continues to dribble and gets up and continues to dribble. The 'T' calls a travel. Looking through the players I see everything. My partner is inexperienced. I go up to him and ask him can you travel while dribbling the ball. He says no. Then it hits him, he knows he made the wrong call. I told him I will let him change his call. The home coach is yelling that it is not a correctable error. I said he was right. It was an official's mistake and he is giving the ball back to the visiting team. The visting team wins by 1 point. The head coach thinks he got screwed on the traveling call. Anyway, afterwards at the local gas station we stop to get s drink before driving home. The visting team comes in and the visiting head coach. The visiting coach comes up to me and my partner and tells us that we showed a lots of integrity and guts for making the call right. Most guys would have let it gone he says. I thanked him for his comments. As we are getting into the car, parents of the home team tell us that we screwed their kids over. I have been told to make it right when it is wrong! I know we did the right thing.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
- Fix the call
- Drive a little further than you did to stop for drinks
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
- Fix the call
- Drive a little further than you did to stop for drinks
Yep, what Dan said.

You did the right thing. The home team coach and parents know that as well, they were only hoping they could be the beneficiaries of a wrong call.

And I also agree about the comment on driving a little farther down the road. You are less likely to run into anyone, win or lose. Better to avoid those situations, than tempt fate by stopping too close to the game site.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 05:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by iref4him
I am working a two man game. I am the 'L'. The ball is in the front court in 'T' primary. Visiting team is down by 1 point and with 25 seconds left to go in the game. The visiting team has the ball. The home team is in a tight 2-3 zone. The guard on the visiting team has a little defensive pressure on him. He is dribbling the ball and falls down, but continues to dribble the ball. He continues to dribble and gets up and continues to dribble. The 'T' calls a travel. Looking through the players I see everything. My partner is inexperienced. I go up to him and ask him can you travel while dribbling the ball. He says no. Then it hits him, he knows he made the wrong call. I told him I will let him change his call. The home coach is yelling that it is not a correctable error.
No, it’s not a correctable error. But that’s not relevant until the ball is put into play after the call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iref4him
I said he was right. It was an official's mistake and he is giving the ball back to the visiting team. The visting team wins by 1 point. The head coach thinks he got screwed on the traveling call. Anyway, afterwards at the local gas station we stop to get s drink before driving home. The visting team comes in and the visiting head coach. The visiting coach comes up to me and my partner and tells us that we showed a lots of integrity and guts for making the call right. Most guys would have let it gone he says. I thanked him for his comments. As we are getting into the car, parents of the home team tell us that we screwed their kids over. I have been told to make it right when it is wrong! I know we did the right thing.
Yes, you did the right thing. Good job getting the call right.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Good point about driving further, but we stop because the closest stop after that was 45 miles away.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

did the right thing? where is the ball? what is your primary?

I dont change this call at gunpoint. then again I am looking somewhere else doing my job and trusting my partner, regardless of experience level.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 06:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

It have better have been an obvious mistake. It is not just about integrity, it is also about judgment. You cannot correct every mistake made by officials. You have to let young officials make mistakes and they will. I know it sounds like the right thing, but what if you were wrong? Now you have made a bigger mistake.

BTW, do not listen to fans no matter where you go. You do not have to drive 10 miles away to get a drink at a gas station.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeump

I dont change this call at gunpoint. then again I am looking somewhere else doing my job and trusting my partner, regardless of experience level.
I don't agree with this. It's very possible that you're seeing the play out of the corner of your eye, or through traffic, as you're wathcing the traffic. When the P makes an obvious mistake, and you can quietly and respectfully give him an opportunity to fix his obvious mistake, you do it! Regardless of experience level.

You don't have to stop for drinks if you bring them from home.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

The way I read the OP, the calling official himself realized the error. His partner's question lead him to realize that he misapplied the rule. Since the ball had not yet been put back into play, call it an inadvertant whistle & put ball back into play at POI. IMHO this is the right thing to do.

And if the local gas station is the only stop for miles, next time bring a couple extra bottles of soda & a snack.........getting caught up with the locals post game is almost never a good thing!
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
And if the local gas station is the only stop for miles, next time bring a couple extra bottles of soda & a snack.........getting caught up with the locals post game is almost never a good thing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
You don't have to stop for drinks if you bring them from home.
Great minds......
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Great minds......
And impeccable timing! (look at the times on the posts)
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
And impeccable timing! (look at the times on the posts)
it's starting to get a little eerie...
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeump

I think iref4him handled it beautifully.

Quite simply, if my partner so obviously misapplies a rule (such as calling a travel while the player is dribbling) in the closing seconds of a 1 point game and I know it, you can bet that we're going to deal with it right then and there....and I'd hope that if I had such goof up, I'd have partner with enough guts to do the right thing.

Forget about who's primary it was in. Our first priority is to call the game. Primaries and mechanics are just a guide to enable us to cover to floor most effectively most of the time. A call like this is far more of an outrage then helping out your partner by knowing what was going on outside your primary. I'm not talking about judgement situations, nor am I talking about overruling a partner....they get to change their call.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Iref..., (Nice name)
You did the right thing and did it well. Your peers do have a point about stopping for a Coke. I always leave a very small cooler with a Slim Fast in the back of my truck. That and bag of popcorn are usually my supper after a game. I had one good experience stopping for gas at a local Casey's store. I had to fly solo that night because of a no show. The home school lost --but they always do and all of the fans and parents expected them to so it was no big deal. But everyone was happy because a Special Needs kid from the other team got to play a lot, scored a basket, and sunk a free throw. I got lots of kudos from home town parents and kids but if I hadn't needed gas, I wouldn't have stopped in town. Only problem was there wasn't another town for a long ways! Just out of curiosity, were you wearing your uniform or had you changed?
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 07:55pm
Huck Finn

Man, I don't know which way to lean on this one; both sides have good points. I just don't know if I would do that. Did the OP get some of his check?
I tell you one thing, I would bet a game check that no matter how it is fixed up the OP was ballwatching and doing it the whole game. I know it is a hard thing for some to admit, but it happens way more than people want to talk about.