The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

ball watching

So far this season I have done about 4 games and I have noticed my partners ball watching a lot -- even though pregame I tell them cover your primary and when the ball drops from mine to yours I will only release once you accept. Also any 3 pointers in the gray area I would rather have the trail mark it and then close down for the weak side rebounding action. however I still see a lot of calls through the lane, and marking 3's easily out of L primary or even T primary.

When I say something during a break like "I see you ball watching, lets try and cover our primary" I usually get a "no i dont" -- I make a conscious effort not to ball watch and to pay attention to the players but sometimes I guess i see myself just watching in amazement as my partners head is all over the place -- I know that means there are many players stabbing each other out of my view but I am fascinated by this. The swivel action has to stop and I propose here and now that it does....
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

If your partners are ball watching and you are watching your partners ball watch, who is watching the other 8 players on the floor?
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I understand your frustration, but your proposal isn't going to do much good.

What good does it do to watch your partner ball-watching when you should be looking at the ball?

What is your status with respect to your partners? Are you the same level and year, or more advanced? If you want to help them get better, "Let's stay in our primaries" isn't going to tell them HOW to improve their abilities. I think you probably need a more instructive approach, and you also need the authority or status to have them listen. If you don't have those, I think you'd be better off to just watch off-ball yourself, and talk about the weather.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

thats what i do -- i have tried explaining competitive matchup -- i even went so far one time and told my partner to just stare at the block lol -- not helpful but he looked like his head was about to screw off his shoulders and roll away. I guess I see this more when i work a non varsity game.

I know a bad habit of mine i have to stop - walking and reporting -- I get annoyed if i havent finished my reporting by the time i get to the normal reporting spot and that only happens when the book isnt paying attention -- but I do use 1 hand not 2 and a game recently I had to wait and look at the official score book for almost a minute -- I didn't do what i usually do which is say something I just stood there waiting -- finally she looked up and blushed, I smiled and it never happened again.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I make a conscious effort not to ball watch and to pay attention to the players but sometimes I guess i see myself just watching in amazement as my partners head is all over the place -- I know that means there are many players stabbing each other out of my view but I am fascinated by this. The swivel action has to stop and I propose here and now that it does....
Jritchie brings up a good point. Your Partner is ball watching, You watching partner ball watching and as well in amazement. Who minding the safe. How many players just punched each other out? Also in NFHS, the proper mechanics to report is not speaking and walking at the same time. That works for NCAA, but not for NFHS.

Last edited by REFVA; Fri Dec 15, 2006 at 12:43pm.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

One thought I use to try to stop ball watching is set a goal of finding at least one illegal screen in the paint. Now, don't make one up, but I bet there are some being set, and unless we're looking for them, they will never be called.

You may try to encourage your partner to find them, also.