The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What mechanic to use ? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30211-what-mechanic-use.html)

Chess Ref Fri Dec 15, 2006 09:33am

What mechanic to use ?

Player A grabs the rebound , he then starts swinging his elbows around wildly and clunks Player B right in the chest. I tweet, have a foul. I go to report and realize I am not sure what mechanic to use.

I use the mechanic # 28. The illegal use of hand mechanic.

Was this correct ?

bob jenkins Fri Dec 15, 2006 09:34am

PC foul mechanic

Larks Fri Dec 15, 2006 09:58am

Agreed - Player Control

Kelvin green Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:07am

WILDLY swings elbows and clunks guy in chest?

-Whistle-
-Closed fist straight up-
-Immediately two fists crossed at about head height..(or is it closed fist staright up and the youre outta here signal)

Not to contradict my esteemed colleagues but if he were wildly throwing elbows and makes contact you have one of three things

1) you quickly blew your whistle to call the swinging the elbows violation, and he made contact after the whistle... T, two shots and the ball

2) you were slower on your whistle, Intentional foul, two shots and the ball..

3) you were slower on your whistle, Flagrant foul, two shots, the ball, and ejection.

Contact in chest maybe 1 or two, but if he made contact above the chest, neck or head it is flagrant in my book and player is history

Eastshire Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:16am

Does anyone else find the excessive swinging of the elbow violation signal the most ackward signal to perfom in all of sportsdom?

Larks Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelvin green
WILDLY swings elbows and clunks guy in chest?

-Whistle-
-Closed fist straight up-
-Immediately two fists crossed at about head height..(or is it closed fist staright up and the youre outta here signal)

Not to contradict my esteemed colleagues but if he were wildly throwing elbows and makes contact you have one of three things

1) you quickly blew your whistle to call the swinging the elbows violation, and he made contact after the whistle... T, two shots and the ball

2) you were slower on your whistle, Intentional foul, two shots and the ball..

3) you were slower on your whistle, Flagrant foul, two shots, the ball, and ejection.

Contact in chest maybe 1 or two, but if he made contact above the chest, neck or head it is flagrant in my book and player is history

Well, if we are talking "wildly"

If he elbows the guy in the face.....you gotta have something and intentional may do the trick. Flagrant? Yeah if he sizes that melon up and bangs it into the first row, sure. Accidentally? Not so sure.

This is where I think it would be nice to have an excessive contact option for NFHS.

I think we really have to see this one because otherwise, we're splitting hairs. I think generally, this will be whistled player control but certainly there are circumstances to ratchet up the penalty.

Kelvin green Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larks
This is where I think it would be nice to have an excessive contact option for NFHS.

Check out what an intentional foul is-- part of the definition is excessive contact.

Go Intentional! If you dont things will escalate---

Adam Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:40am

Kelvin's right. If contact is excessive, you can go intentional.

Larks Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:45am

I don't disagree if contact is excessive it's more than PC. I'm suggesting that this is one of those gotta see it's and you will react accordingly. What I am really trying to say is that player control is NOT off the table here.

It will rarely be flagrant so it can be either PC or Intent.

Chess Ref Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:28am

Fwiw

I didn't think it was a flagrant. I didn't think of the intentional option. In hindsight-I will stick with my call. Things never did escalate but I have definetly had plenty of games where this sort of action would have led to a scrum.

Jurassic Referee Fri Dec 15, 2006 01:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larks
I don't disagree if contact is excessive it's more than PC. I'm suggesting that this is one of those gotta see it's and you will react accordingly. What I am really trying to say is that player control is NOT off the table here.

It will rarely be flagrant so it can be either PC or Intent.

I agree. Judgement call.

Old School Fri Dec 15, 2006 04:17pm

Players are not allowed to throw elbows. That's an immediate danger sign when you got a player throwing elbows, especially wildly. If he makes contact, not good, I don't care where it's at. Based on the description here, I would lean more towards flagrant on the contact. Protect the other players from stupidity. Big guy slinging his elbows wildly can put out an eye. If he's just coming around once or twice, trying to create space to either pass or dribble, that's okay, but constantly, wildly, not okay. Player should have been whistled for a flagrant and sent to the showers.

HawkeyeCubP Fri Dec 15, 2006 04:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Player A grabs the rebound , he then starts swinging his elbows around wildly and clunks Player B right in the chest. I tweet, have a foul. I go to report and realize I am not sure what mechanic to use.

I use the mechanic # 28. The illegal use of hand mechanic.

Was this correct ?

HTBT-call. - But given only and exaclty what the OP gives: PC foul.

Jurassic Referee Fri Dec 15, 2006 04:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old School
Players are not allowed to throw elbows.

If he's just coming around once or twice, trying to create space to either pass or dribble, that's okay, but constantly, wildly, not okay.

OK.........

Players are <b>not</b> allowed to throw elbows.

But....players <b>are</b> allowed to throw elbows if they only do it <b>once or twice</b>.

But....players are <b>not</b> allowed to throw elbows if they do it <b>constantly</b>.

Typical, JMO, typical.......:rolleyes:

Old School Fri Dec 15, 2006 04:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
HTBT-call. - But given only and exaclty what the OP gives: PC foul.

What....????