The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   UT's Pearl has trouble at another high school game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30123-uts-pearl-has-trouble-another-high-school-game.html)

eyezen Tue Dec 12, 2006 03:29pm

UT's Pearl has trouble at another high school game

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....S0601/61209010

sj Tue Dec 12, 2006 04:11pm

One thing here is that there is sometimes a difference between telling a ref to let them play if they are standing right behind you and when they tell the ref the same thing from 10 rows up.

We had a guy standing next to the wall one night and just had him removed to the stands. After the game was over the superintendent of schools came in a balled us out for doing it. It was some big giver. The superintendent got written up.

Also there are a lot of passionate, emotional guys in coaching and they handle refs just fine so that's garbage.

Mwanr1 Tue Dec 12, 2006 04:46pm

That's BS - he should know better.

JRutledge Tue Dec 12, 2006 05:01pm

Serves his a$$ right.

Peace

jeepinchad Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:26am

Yeah... if he is there to scout... than scout. If he is there to give the refs a hard time, pick a spot better than "under the basket" to do it from (like out in the parking lot).

Jimgolf Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepinchad
Yeah... if he is there to scout... than scout.

Can't scout much when the player you're supposed to be scouting is on the bench with 3 fouls.

Jimgolf Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
Serves his a$$ right.

Peace

I thought you're a Michigan fan. You should have been happy to see him go.

jeepinchad Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Can't scout much when the player you're supposed to be scouting is on the bench with 3 fouls.

So go get a hot dog. :D

JRutledge Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:22am

Quote:

I thought you're a Michigan fan. You should have been happy to see him go.

Huh?

Peace

Jimgolf Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:57pm

Quote:

Huh?

Peace

Your sig: Bo Schembechler tribute? Go Blue? Isn't that Michigan speak?
Quote:

Serves his a$$ right.

Peace

Wasn't Weber the Illinois coach? Wouldn't a Michigan fan be happy to see the Illini be less successful?

Dan_ref Wed Dec 13, 2006 01:03pm

Quote:

I would think that unless the officials are completely incompetent a smart D1 coach would want to see how the recruit reacts to playing outside of his game. If the head coach shows up he's probably already convinced the kid has talent. The rest is what's he got between his ears.

Of course, I aint a high intensity big time D1 coach so what do I know?

JRutledge Wed Dec 13, 2006 01:07pm

What does any of this have to do with the topic?

Quote:

Huh?

Quote:

Wasn't Weber the Illinois coach? Wouldn't a Michigan fan be happy to see the Illini be less successful?

What does Weber have to do with this story? When Illinois wins a National Championship, I will then worry about how successful they are. ;)

Peace

Mark Dexter Wed Dec 13, 2006 03:38pm

Quote:

Once again, it's the damn refs' fault! :p

refnrev Wed Dec 13, 2006 06:01pm

If he's scouting a kid, what's he doing under the basket? Why not get up where he can see the entire court better?

Adam Wed Dec 13, 2006 06:11pm

Quote:

Uhm, wrong Bruce. :)

Pearl hasn't been in the Big Ten since he left the batman job at Iowa.

In fact, Pearl was at the center of a intense rivalry between Iowa and Illinois back in the day when he turned Illinois in for recruiting violations with Dion Thomas. The fact that I remember that is a testament to my geekdome.