The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 03, 2001, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone have a favorite online company they buy basketball official's supplies from? Thanks ahead of time for the information.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2001, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Honig's Whistle Stop. Chances are that they have a distributor near you, since they have 6 offices across Canada and the U.S. Most of the other distributors only have one office, which is a pain if you're in Califormia and they're in Ohio. Quality product, good prices and a fair exchange policy, Honig's is tough to beat.

http://honigs.com/

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Oct 03, 2001, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

BB Special

+POS has the best prices for orders in October, 20% discount, except shoes 10%. There website: http://www.pluspos.com
They are very prompt 1-800-323-5722. Officiating.com also has some supplies or Purchse Officials Supplies, http://www.purchaseofficials.com 1-800-767-2233 hope this helps.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2001, 06:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Which sport?

Honig's is the best for football. They have the best overall equiptment for football. And the accessories for football are by far the best as it relates to football

Baseball it has to be +POS. Their stuff is by far the best. The shirts, the pants and the protective equiptment are greater in selection. You cannot go wrong with anything that has to do with Baseball season.

Now for Basketball, there is no one that is better in my opinion. You can get good things from differnet places. I guess because the stuff you use in basketball is not as extensive. You only have a shirt, some pants, and a whistle and shoes. It is not much complicated than that. And because most of the things that you can buy almost all of these places have the same products, basketball is a crap shoot. Unlike Football and Baseball, you are not buying many things like flags or ball bags, bean bags and down indicators. The only thing that might be difficult to decide what to buy is what kind of jacket are you going to have? And maybe the shoes, but like the other sports, that is all personal preference. I have found things from the National Federation that work or just as good. Usually whatever is cheap or will not fall apart, I have bought at some point.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2001, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Jerry is right, +POS and Purchase run some 20% off sales that offer very good prices.

However, I've had trouble and so have others when they tried to return things to +POS. In fact, there's a post on the McGriff board about +POS right now.

As for Purchase, if they're running a sale, they won't give you the sale price unless you ask for it. How stupid is that? The last time I ordered from them, I had to fax a copy of their ad from REFEREE magazine before the ordertaker would believe that the items were on sale. And then I found out that anything that they were out of stock on, did not qualify for the sale price. I don't do business with them anymore.

Old Wed Oct 03, 2001, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

As I recall, http://www.calltheobvious.com/ offers pants in odd waist sizes, which is nice. However, the pickets and linine are white instead of black. I had an early evaluation where the evaluator asked me why I had this white flag hanging out my back side. (The pocket was partially pulled out.) Also their waistband can fold when you bend over, leaving a white sash.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2001, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tweets
Smile Spell check? :)

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
You can get good things from differnet places. [/B]

differnet...is that like different and internet? very creative, I like it.

Quote:
You only have a shirt, some pants, and a whistle and shoes. It is not much complicated than that. [/B]
...and a scrunchie for my hair...

[Edited by Tweets on Oct 4th, 2001 at 02:21 AM]
Old Thu Oct 04, 2001, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tweets
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
As I recall, http://www.calltheobvious.com/ offers pants in odd waist sizes, which is nice.
(for those of us with odd waists)
Old Thu Oct 04, 2001, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Honig's has the best catalog and selection for equipment and apparel. I have found that the best pleated pants for women come from purchaseofficials.com. Shoes are a completely different story. There are only a few styles that I have been able to find (I'm not particularly tall, so the converse whistle was the first shoe that I found that would fit - although I find since they are men's shoes they are too wide, too heavy and too clunky). So far I like the spot-bilt shoe and reebok's cross trainer.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2001, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

In my experience, this is a no-brainer. Purchase Officials Supplies, http://www.purchaseofficials.com, is far and away the best I've had to deal with, particularly for basketball equipment. Company is owned by a current NBA official, so they know what we want. Friendly, courteous and prompt. Order online or call 1-800-767-2233.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2001, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

I'm sure that most of this comes down to personal preference and with whom you have had the most success, but I have personally been pleased with Lester's Upstate Sports. I have always been treated courteously and promptly, and have never had any trouble returning merchandise. Their prices have seemed to be comparable to most other on-line sites I have looked at. I have bought from them the last three seasons for Basketball and Baseball and will probably buy again when Baseball rolls around.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2001, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Referee Stuff BB

I just received an order from Pro-Ref Sportswear in Newfield, NY http://www.pro-refsportswear.com. I had never used them before but I ordered a dozen Fox 40 CMG for $51.00 that's less than $5.00 each and Smitty 8.5" were $21.50 for a dozen. I used regular shipping which was cheapest $6.95 and they shipped the same day I placed the order, sent a conformation via email. I was very pleased. I assumed you were looking for basketball stuff, since that is just starting up. First games tonight and tomorrow night. Can't wait.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2001, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Jerry,

If you're going through a dozen foxes a year, you have issues.

Old Thu Oct 04, 2001, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jearef
In my experience, this is a no-brainer. Purchase Officials Supplies, http://www.purchaseofficials.com, is far and away the best I've had to deal with, particularly for basketball equipment. Company is owned by a current NBA official, so they know what we want. Friendly, courteous and prompt. Order online or call 1-800-767-2233.
I hope Mr. DeRosa has corrected some of the problems that Purchase previously had. Their prices are very good but the service has always been lousy, at least it still was when I stopped using them two years ago.

Jerry, you can order whistles directly from Fox40 with your associations logo or name on them. $3 for the regular Fox 40 and $4 for the Fox CMG.

Old Thu Oct 04, 2001, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Fox 40 whistle

BktBallRef,
Thanks, I have thought of that but have never tried because I was told you had to order 144 before you get that $4.00 price. Have I been misinformed? We changed to the Fox 40 CMG because once you use one, you won't go back to the plain. I have not broken a whistle since the switch and they are lasting a lot longer and they feel good between my teeth. By the way, I buy for our association "Fellowship of Christian Officials", so I'm not wearing out whistles a doz. at a time. But I will be blowing it more this year to clean up the rough stuff and illegal hand checking.

[Edited by Jerry Baldwin on Oct 4th, 2001 at 12:40 PM]