The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   excessively swinging arms/elbows w/ out contact (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30003-excessively-swinging-arms-elbows-w-out-contact.html)

j51969 Thu Dec 07, 2006 03:21pm

excessively swinging arms/elbows w/ out contact

NF rule

Violation occurs when A1's attempt for a shot is on it's way during rebounding action by A2 or B2. Shot counts either way, and a spot throw-in nearest violation?

HawkeyeCubP Thu Dec 07, 2006 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by j51969
NF rule

Violation occurs when A1's attempt for a shot is on it's way during rebounding action by A2 or B2. Shot counts either way, and a spot throw-in nearest violation?

Shot doesn't count if violation is by A - ball is dead immediately. Sit. 9.13.1.

rainmaker Thu Dec 07, 2006 04:06pm

You're right about the official ruling, but I"ve gotta ask about the philosophy here. If an A Team foul is committed when the ball is in flight, the ball is not dead and the shot counts if it goes. but if an A Team violation is committed, then the ball is immediately dead? Is that correct?

Mark Dexter Thu Dec 07, 2006 04:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
You're right about the official ruling, but I"ve gotta ask about the philosophy here.

Who can explain it?
Who can tell you why?
Fools give you reasons,
Wise men . . . never try.

Quote:

If an A Team foul is committed when the ball is in flight, the ball is not dead and the shot counts if it goes. but if an A Team violation is committed, then the ball is immediately dead? Is that correct?
Seems right to me - can't find any direct case plays to back it up, though.

Zoochy Thu Dec 07, 2006 04:23pm

Quote:

You're right about the official ruling, but I"ve gotta ask about the philosophy here. If an A Team foul is committed when the ball is in flight, the ball is not dead and the shot counts if it goes. but if an A Team violation is committed, then the ball is immediately dead? Is that correct?

As well,I was in disbelief until I read Sit 9.13.1. I guess same as if ...
A1 attempts a long last second shot. While the ball is in the air, A1 runs OOB to avoid contacting a defender. 'Tweeeeeet', violations on A1. Ball is dead.

HawkeyeCubP Thu Dec 07, 2006 04:26pm

Quote:

Yes.

Wise elders? Philosophy here?

HawkeyeCubP Thu Dec 07, 2006 04:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy
A1 attempts a long last second shot. While the ball is in the air, A1 runs OOB to avoid contacting a defender. 'Tweeeeeet', violations on A1. Ball is dead.

That was the other one I was thinking of, too.

RookieDude Thu Dec 07, 2006 04:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy

You didn't see it correctly...A1's momentum took him OOB invouluntarily...and he was trying to immediately return to the court. ;)

rainmaker Thu Dec 07, 2006 05:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Who can explain it?
Who can tell you why?
Fools give you reasons,
Wise men . . . never try..

Thank you Mark for that very helpful and informative little bit of doggerel.

I can see that it's consistent with that other rule dyad, a violation by team A takes away the arrow, but a foul by team A doesn't. But on free throws, the ball is dead immediately if team A violates or fouls either one, right? Where's the consistency in that?

Jurassic Referee Thu Dec 07, 2006 05:10pm

Quote:

but if an A Team violation is committed, then the ball is immediately dead? Is that correct?

Rule 6-7-9&EXCEPTION(d).

Camron Rust Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:23pm

Quote:

Correct.

Why? If the shot is in the air and goes in, there is no penalty for a violation on team A. B's going to get the ball anyway. If it doesn't go in, B gets the ball.

On a foul, B will get the ball and may even be shooting bonus FTs. Plus a player gets charged with the foul. It may not be an immediate affect but it does would put them 1 closer to the bonus.