The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 09:45am
Courageous When Prudent

where should the whistle have come from...

Of course we're only looking at a picture, but based on the position of the players in this pic where do you think the Charging whistle should have come from, the 'C' (not pictured) or the 'L' (pictured)?

Having a discussion with a friend.

New info to add: apparently A1's dribble originated from the trail's primary. Looking at the picture I thought it was a fast break (one of those infamous 1-on-3 breaks ).

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Dec 06, 2006 at 09:51am.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 10:05am
Lighten up, Francis.

If it came from the Trail's primary, then I would expect a whistle from the Trail or Lead. I don't think the play would wander into the C's primary. I would have no problem with the Trail having the call, but the Lead certainly sees to have a good look.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

If the drive initiated from the T's primary, I would think the T has "first crack" at making the call. What I've been taught is if a secondary defender comes into the picture, the L, or possibly the C, might have a better look, and therefore, the call.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 10:43am
M.A.S.H.

I agree that I think T has first crack, since it came from his/her area. But I wouldn't have a problem if L or C had a call. From the picture, and it's hard to tell, but it appears it's board line on both their areas. Just gotta be careful we don't have a blarge, this can be taken care of per the double whistle covered in a good pre-game.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
If the drive initiated from the T's primary, I would think the T has "first crack" at making the call. What I've been taught is if a secondary defender comes into the picture, the L, or possibly the C, might have a better look, and therefore, the call.
I agree. Center seems to have the best "look", as the L has a player blocking the action and the T (if he/she has not stepped low) may not have a great angle on the play.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

This play should come from the C or the L, but I would rather the C have it. It is in the dead center of the paint and if the C got to where he was supposed to be in time he ought to take this play. The L has a backside closed look, although that does not matter to much when making a block charge call, and the L I'm sure is way to far away imo.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

I would hope "C" would take this one, but would at the very least expect a double whistle from the "C" and the "L" or the "C" and the "T". IMO.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

I can see where any of the 3 spots could have a good view of this play. I think C had the best look, but the important thing was that they got it and got it right.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

It basically depends on where the defender in the middle of the picture came from, since it looks like that is where there is going to be a foul (if there is a foul.)

Was he the primary ball defender? If so, I probably want T to have this call.

Is he a help defender coming from the block in L's primary? If so, I probably want L to have this call.

Has he been standing in the middle of the lane the whole time? If so, I probably want C to have this call.

So, it depends- but I want the call to come from the official who has been refereeing the defense.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

In pre-games, we always say that "during a drive, the T or C must follow the ball to the basket. The other officials should make quick eye contact to see if the calling official needs help.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 02:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Who ever can see a fouls should call one if the ball is in the middle of the lane. It is about angles more than anything. Of course the T will likely see the entire play or the ball handler and the person directly guarding the ball handler. But I feel that any of the 3 officials can call something here. First of all there are 3 people in the lane defending this play. It is about angles and who might have been watching a particular player at the time of any contact. Double whistles should not only be expected but common on this kind of play.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

I've got a block!

I honestly don't want the T making the call if it's a secondary defender drawing the contact. I would hope the T is refereeing the primary defender.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
I've got a block!
You better be joking!

::snicker::
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

I think the L has the best view. The C, if they're a few steps below the FT extenended will be looking straight across the court and will be able to see and forward movement by the defender. However, that same position will not give any view of lateral movement....OK if the defender was set up well before the contact but if it was a question of the defender getting established or not, the C wouldn't have the best view. The L's diagonal view through the play will give a view of both. If the C was a little higher than the play, they may have a good enough angle to see it.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Of course we're only looking at a picture, but based on the position of the players in this pic where do you think the Charging whistle should have come from, the 'C'
So you think the call is on the offense? In that case, shouldn't it come from whoever had the drive? Also, is there any way to tell which is the primary defender? I'm betting on the center defender, but I could see it being the guy on the left.