The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   So-so start--us and the officials (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29901-so-so-start-us-officials.html)

A Pennsylvania Coach Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:36pm

So-so start--us and the officials

1-1 in opening weekend. On opening night, one good official, one not so good, IMHO. We played well for three quarters and bad for one, and we lost.

In the consolation game, two better officials (or so I thought). They managed the game well. They handled one mistake pretty well. Opponents inbouding, getting near the five-second mark, so their ASSISTANT coach requests a timeout, and gets it. She was a shrill-voiced lady and the head coach was a man of few words; I'm sure it was just her who requested. As we huddled, I mentioned that the assistant asked.

He looked over at their bench, said "Yep, are you sure she can't?"

I told him, "Yes, I'm sure."

He said, "Ah well, what are we going to do about it now?" with a smile as if to say "I kicked that," and I was cool with that.

One bad mistake a bit later. We shot bonus FTs for an illegal screen. Their coach questioned if we are supposed to shoot for that, and the other guy (the R) said yes and administered them.

Worst one was early in the fourth. We were up 20 so no big deal. The U is in the lead and calls a ball OOB baseline "blue" (us). The R changes it from the trail. The U yells back that he had it, and it is "blue". The R didn't hear him I don't think. U goes to administer a throw-in for us, and after we get it in the opposing coach is yelling and the R stops play and again changes the call (again from 40 feet away). The U just gives up and gives white the ball. I tell him that U had the call and it was his line. The R says "I'm the R, and I overruled him," and that's when I knew to save my breath.

Nevadaref Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Worst one was early in the fourth. We were up 20 so no big deal. The U is in the lead and calls a ball OOB baseline "blue" (us). The R changes it from the trail. The U yells back that he had it, and it is "blue". The R didn't hear him I don't think. U goes to administer a throw-in for us, and after we get it in the opposing coach is yelling and the R stops play and again changes the call (again from 40 feet away). The U just gives up and gives white the ball. I tell him that U had the call and it was his line. The R says "I'm the R, and I overruled him," and that's when I knew to save my breath.

Coach,
I have no issue with any of the other mistakes and I thought that you handled them well. I'm sure that if there had been a conference and you were directly asked about the unmerited FTs for the illegal screen, then you would have done the right thing and told the officials that you shouldn't be awarded FTs for a team control foul.

However, this last one is unacceptable to me. If I were the U in this game, I would never work with that R again. He has no right to "overrule" his partner on this call. I'm also sure that you knew that and made the wise choice not to argue with the grumpy R about it.

RULE 2, SECTION 6 OFFICIALS' AUTHORITY
No official has the authority to set aside or question decisions made by the other official(s) within the limits of their respective outlined duties.

OHBBREF Mon Dec 04, 2006 01:07pm

Coach I admire your restraint in both situations, some of those in your profession would have not been so kind.
either mistake could happen although the R is obviously not up on the rules changes if issuing bonus freethrows on a foul with team control
but I agree with Nevada - the "Overruling" of another official is inexcuseable and something that you might want to pass on to the league assignor - this is going to lead to afiasco somewhere down the road - maybe in your game - so you might want to nip it in the bud!

Junker Mon Dec 04, 2006 01:11pm

If the illegal screen was during a throw in, you would go shoot free throws. I'm not sure if this is the case, but I'm just posting and thought I'd point that out.

A Pennsylvania Coach Mon Dec 04, 2006 01:46pm

Regarding the throw-in: This was not during a throw-in. Definitely no FTs warranted.

Regarding passing this on to the league assignor: If it was in my league, I would. We were in the next county over for this tournament. I'm going to leave it alone. Good thought though.