The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 05:25pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2

Walk on Red #5. passed on the walk and called the hand check and game her continuation to the basket (NBA?) Should have been on the floor.
You managed to hit 2 pet peeves of mine in one post.

"On the floor" has no meaning. If I've started my shooting motion, it's a foul in the act of shooting even if both feet are on the floor. I wish officials would say "before the shot" and eliminate "on the floor" from their vocabulary.

Continuous motion applies regardless of whether we're in the NBA or in a HS game.
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,673
Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
You managed to hit 2 pet peeves of mine in one post.

"On the floor" has no meaning. If I've started my shooting motion, it's a foul in the act of shooting even if both feet are on the floor. I wish officials would say "before the shot" and eliminate "on the floor" from their vocabulary.

Continuous motion applies regardless of whether we're in the NBA or in a HS game.
No problem, I dont use that in the game, but I just wanted to make sure I was understood. From what I saw, she looked like she was foul on the last dribble whistle, then two steps to the basket. Like I said, all judgement.
__________________
Score the Basket!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 07:14pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
No problem, I dont use that in the game, but I just wanted to make sure I was understood. From what I saw, she looked like she was foul on the last dribble whistle, then two steps to the basket. Like I said, all judgement.
I didn't see it, so I'll cede to your judgment.

Many times, though, I see fouls called as non-shooting that really were in the act of shooting.
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 08:55pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
No problem, I dont use that in the game, but I just wanted to make sure I was understood. From what I saw, she looked like she was foul on the last dribble whistle, then two steps to the basket. Like I said, all judgement.
Yup, all judgement. And the official on the floor judged it be a foul in the act of shooting.

And....then the fanboys start second-guessing the official's judgement.
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
5:65, First Quarter:

Crash, No call. I replayed it back a couple of times and felt there should had been a whistle. #42 clearly had position and in my opinion there should have been a PC call.
Huh?? 5:65? or 6:05??
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,673
Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
My mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
Huh?? 5:65? or 6:05??
Sorry, 5:55!
__________________
Score the Basket!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,673
Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yup, all judgement. And the official on the floor judged it be a foul in the act of shooting.

And....then the fanboys start second-guessing the official's judgement.
I have no problem with his judgement.
__________________
Score the Basket!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 03:46am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
I have no problem with his judgement.
Say what?

The official judged it to be a shooting foul. You stated verbatim though- "She was clearly on the floor and it should have been an out of bounds spot. Team was not in the bonus, so therefore there should not have been any shots". Iow, you're stating on the record and in a public forum that the official's judgment on that particular play was completely and unequivocably wrong. Now, I'm glad that you're good enough and wise enough to pick all that out of a tv replay, and then declare so emphatically that the official did screw up the call, over the judgment of the calling official on the court that had a different view and angle than your tv did. I will admit that I'm certainly not good enough to do that.

Keep up the great work.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Jan 02, 2007 at 04:09am.
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 11:00am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,673
Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Say what?

The official judged it to be a shooting foul. You stated verbatim though- "She was clearly on the floor and it should have been an out of bounds spot. Team was not in the bonus, so therefore there should not have been any shots". Iow, you're stating on the record and in a public forum that the official's judgment on that particular play was completely and unequivocably wrong. Now, I'm glad that you're good enough and wise enough to pick all that out of a tv replay, and then declare so emphatically that the official did screw up the call, over the judgment of the calling official on the court that had a different view and angle than your tv did. I will admit that I'm certainly not good enough to do that.

Keep up the great work.
Why do yo always have to make stuff harder than it is? If he thought it was a shooting foul, than so be it. I was just giving my 2 cents on the whole game because one day I may have to eval some of my buddies. I never said anyone screwed up. So, stop reading between the lines.
__________________
Score the Basket!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:05pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
Why do yo always have to make stuff harder than it is? If he thought it was a shooting foul, than so be it. I was just giving my 2 cents on the whole game because one day I may have to eval some of my buddies. I never said anyone screwed up. So, stop reading between the lines.
Again, that just confuses the heck outa me. You said that there shouldn't have been any shots. The calling official gave 2 shots. Someone sureasheck must have screwed up and was wrong on this play- and it had to be either the calling official or you.

I'm not really trying to make things harder than they are. I'm just trying to figure out why your judgement watching the game on tv was completely different than the official who had to make the call. I do a little evaluating too. In cases like this, I usually ask the official what they saw before I make up my mind whether they screwed up the call or not. I also like to see if there are any other views available than the one that I've seen. Sometimes the camera does lie, especially if the play is being viewed from different angles. But....hey, that's just me though. Shrug. Take it fwiw, which is nothing really.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boo Williams National Invitational Raymond Basketball 7 Wed Apr 12, 2006 02:03pm
High School Invitational in Springfield assignmentmaker Basketball 6 Sun Jan 08, 2006 08:18pm
ASA NC in Mobile, AL IRISHMAFIA Softball 5 Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:56am
Seattle HS hoops wizard Basketball 2 Tue Feb 10, 2004 08:00pm
New to Mobile/Pensacola area TemUp Basketball 1 Wed Sep 13, 2000 04:28pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1