The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Personal Foul, then Technical Foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29826-personal-foul-then-technical-foul.html)

jdw3018 Fri Dec 01, 2006 05:05pm

Personal Foul, then Technical Foul
 
A question spurred by another post...

B1 commits a non-shooting personal foul against A1 while A1 is dribbling the ball. This is the 6th team foul against B. While reporting the foul, head coach B leaves his coaching box to voice his displeasure and the reporting official calls a technical foul on the HC, which is also Team B's 7th team foul.

What is the correct procedure at this point?

What if the technical is the 10th team foul?

Dan_ref Fri Dec 01, 2006 05:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018
A question spurred by another post...

B1 commits a non-shooting personal foul against A1 while A1 is dribbling the ball. This is the 6th team foul against B. While reporting the foul, head coach B leaves his coaching box to voice his displeasure and the reporting official calls a technical foul on the HC, which is also Team B's 7th team foul.

What is the correct procedure at this point?

What if the technical is the 10th team foul?

nhfs: shoot the 2 FTs for the T, A gets the ball at the midcourt line opposite table

ncaa: shoot the 2 FTs for the T, A gets the ball at the spot of B1's foul.

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Dec 01, 2006 05:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
nhfs: shoot the 2 FTs for the T, A gets the ball at the midcourt line opposite table

ncaa: shoot the 2 FTs for the T, A gets the ball at the spot of B1's foul.

However, if it was the 10th team foul, in NFHS, the player that was fouled would shoot 1 and 1 with the lane cleared, after which, he or any player would shoot 2 FTs for the T followed by the throwin at the midcourt line opposite table.

In NCAA, I believe you would shoot the 2 for the T FIRST with the lane cleared, followed by A1 shooting 1 and 1 with the lane filled.

BktBallRef Fri Dec 01, 2006 05:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018
A question spurred by another post...

B1 commits a non-shooting personal foul against A1 while A1 is dribbling the ball. This is the 6th team foul against B. While reporting the foul, head coach B leaves his coaching box to voice his displeasure and the reporting official calls a technical foul on the HC, which is also Team B's 7th team foul.

What is the correct procedure at this point?

What if the technical is the 10th team foul?

Fouls are penalized in the order in which they occur in NFHS. The common foul is the 6th foul, so no FTs are shot. For the 9th foul, it would be 1&1.

All_Heart Fri Dec 01, 2006 05:42pm

It doesn't matter in regards to bonus free throws. You shoot 2 technical free throws, by any player or eligable sub, no matter what the foul count is.

All_Heart Fri Dec 01, 2006 05:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
In NCAA, I believe you would shoot the 2 for the T FIRST with the lane cleared, followed by A1 shooting 1 and 1 with the lane filled.

This would be correct.

jdw3018 Fri Dec 01, 2006 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by All_Heart
It doesn't matter in regards to bonus free throws. You shoot 2 technical free throws, by any player or eligable sub, no matter what the foul count is.

Right. I just realized I wasn't 100% sure what the penalty for the personal foul would be - whether it would be a bonus/double bonus situation or not.

The Technical foul part I knew...;)

Nevadaref Sat Dec 02, 2006 05:35am

Just remember that bonus FTs are only awarded for common fouls and you'll get it right.

PS A technical foul is not a common foul. ;)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1