The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Grant Time Out? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29802-grant-time-out.html)

Zoochy Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:15pm

Grant Time Out?

Team A has the ball. Official is standing in front of Coach B. For whatever reason, Coach B requests a TO.:eek: Official fails to realize the Team B does not have the ball. Blows the whistle on the request form Coach B.:o Ball is now dead. Can the official still honor the TO request from Coach B???

jdw3018 Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:27pm

5.8.3 Situation E: The official erroneously grants Team B a TO in a situation when Team B cannot have one.
Ruling: Team B is entitled to use the time-out. Once granted, a time-out cannot be revoked.

BktBallRef Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:51pm

NFHS, yes.

NCAA, no.

refnrev Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy
Team A has the ball. Official is standing in front of Coach B. For whatever reason, Coach B requests a TO.:eek: Official fails to realize the Team B does not have the ball. Blows the whistle on the request form Coach B.:o Ball is now dead. Can the official still honor the TO request from Coach B???

Yep. I know because I did it once. Once, remember, just once!:)

Nevadaref Fri Dec 01, 2006 03:03am

All right, Zooch, fess up. Do you have some sort of list that someone compiled on all the differences between the NFHS and NCAA rules?

All of your recent posts are of this type. That's not bad, it's just noticeable. :)

Jurassic Referee Fri Dec 01, 2006 06:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
All right, Zooch, fess up. Do you have some sort of list that someone compiled on all the differences between the NFHS and NCAA rules?

I've got one that someone compliled. They put it on P78&79 of the NFHS rule book.:)

Scrapper1 Fri Dec 01, 2006 07:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
NCAA, no.

So now that the ball is dead, you say, "Sorry, Coach, my mistake, no time-out." But since it's a dead ball, if he requests it again, will you grant it?

mbyron Fri Dec 01, 2006 08:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by refnrev
Yep. I know because I did it once. Once, remember, just once!:)

Well, you know what Mark Twain said: you can make a mistake only once; after that, it's a bad habit. :cool:

Junker Fri Dec 01, 2006 09:28am

I did this last year in a V game. The R booted the rule and we called it an IW. I still kick myself about that one. :(

All_Heart Fri Dec 01, 2006 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
NCAA, no.

Do you have a rule reference for this?

Zoochy Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref

All of your recent posts are of this type. That's not bad, it's just noticeable. :)

:) Ha Ha... you funny.
I watch a lot of Basketball when I am not officiating. So, I see these plays and discuss them with other officials or I look them up in the book and try to find out if the officials were correct in their proceedures.
The last 3 plays, I have posted, occured in 1 game I watched just the other day. Inadvertent whistle, foul during throw-in and this Time out play. And all were applied incorrectly. I tried my best to discuss these plays, at the end of the game, with the 3 officials but, these guys were too good for me. They did not want to listen. Now I am going to look bad when they occur in my games and I apply them correctly. Coaches won't believe.
Now I have to send this thread to these 3 knuckleheads and show them the RIGHT way. Thanks for all the assistance:D .