The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NFHS - Whistle before handing ball to thrower? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29745-nfhs-whistle-before-handing-ball-thrower.html)

HawkeyeCubP Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:05pm

NFHS - Whistle before handing ball to thrower?

NFHS - Lead Official - Do you give a whistle before handing the ball to the thrower for an endline throw-in (team throwing in is going to the near basket) when there has not been a delay? Possibly just when it's loud?

From the Officials' Manual - Basic Procedures and Mechanics - Two Officials - Throw-In - 220 - The administering official shall sound the whistle only following a charged time-out, an intermission or an unusual delay.

So I've answered my question by the book, per se, but I'm curious for the forum's take on this, from those that work college and high school, as well as only high school, or if anything has been released by the NFHS since this book was published that I'm unaware of regarding this.

Thank you in advance for the responses.

roadking Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:39pm

timeouts, between quarters and delays only. we give enough whistles with fouls and violations.

refnrev Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:43pm

3 years ago I worked two games with a guy who blew the whistle on every stupid inbounds he had. He looked like an idiot all game long. Do it by the book!

rainmaker Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:31am

I know the rules, and the official mechanics, but there are times when a whistle is needed. Mostly at the (unanimously agreed as most difficult!!) JH girls level. Sometimes I can get away with just yelling, "Play!" instead of blowing the whistle.

zebraman Wed Nov 29, 2006 01:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP

So I've answered my question by the book, per se, but I'm curious for the forum's take on this, from those that work college and high school, as well as only high school, or if anything has been released by the NFHS since this book was published that I'm unaware of regarding this.

Thank you in advance for the responses.

Nothing new has been released. In women's college ball, the lead blows the whistle prior to a front-court baseline throw. In HS games, I only do it after an unusual delay or a time-out. I do forget to do it once in a great while in my women's JC games. :eek:

Nevadaref Wed Nov 29, 2006 05:58am

I do not employ NCAA W mechanics in NFHS games.

Does that tell you how I do it? :D

Dan_ref Wed Nov 29, 2006 07:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I do not employ NCAA W mechanics in NFHS games.

Does that tell you how I do it? :D

It tells us how you don't do it.

Jerry Blum Wed Nov 29, 2006 08:45am

Hey guys what about before shooting free throws after a timeout? Should you blow the whistle before you put the ball at the disposal of the shooter.

Junker Wed Nov 29, 2006 08:52am

I only hit my whistle after delays, a TO or a quarter break. On free thows after a break I don't hit my whistle at all.

Scrapper1 Wed Nov 29, 2006 09:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
I only hit my whistle after delays, a TO or a quarter break. On free thows after a break I don't hit my whistle at all.

Ditto.<font></font>

eyezen Wed Nov 29, 2006 03:05pm

Per 8-1-2 Free throw administration...

Following a timeout or intermission, the resumption of play procedure may be used to prevent delay. The timer will sound the authorized warning horn and final signal. The administrating official will sound the whistle to indicate play will resume. The ball shall be placed at the disposal o the thrower or placed on the floor and the count shall begin....

The word "may" indicates it's optional to me. I would say unless there is an actual delay that would cause you to place the ball on the floor it's probably unnecessary. (Putting the ball on the floor without a whistle and starting a count would probably be a bad thing to do!!!) However if you are really concerned you could always ask your assignor/association/mentor how they want it done.

deecee Wed Nov 29, 2006 03:08pm

I blow my whistle every 12 seonds just to stay consistent.

FishinRef Wed Nov 29, 2006 03:42pm

Quote:

deecee I blow my whistle every 12 seonds just to stay consistent.
Even during warmups and intermission. You have to stay loose.:D

REFVA Wed Nov 29, 2006 03:49pm

Quote:

timeouts, between quarters and delays only. we give enough whistles with fouls and violations.
Agree! Also many officials blow the whistle when acknowledging a substitution. I don't believe that to be neccessary. I agree with the other poster. We blow it often enough.

JRutledge Wed Nov 29, 2006 05:18pm

I blow the whistle some of the time, not all of the time. It really depends on the gym, the crowd size and the type of game that is being played. If there is any delay, I will more likely blow the whistle.

Peace