The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Out of Bounds on Whom?? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29690-out-bounds-whom.html)

VaCoach Sun Nov 26, 2006 03:06pm

Out of Bounds on Whom??

Team A is in-bounding the ball at baseline of team B. Player 1 throws pass the length of the court and then some, 5 feet out of bounds on the opposite end line, where Team B player catches the pass out of bounds.
Question 1. Whos ball is it and Question 2, where is it inbounded from?

Zoochy Sun Nov 26, 2006 03:21pm

I believe Rule 9-2-10 will answer your question.
The answer may not be what you think.

All_Heart Sun Nov 26, 2006 03:24pm

Violation on B, throw-in is at original throw-in spot.

som44 Sun Nov 26, 2006 03:36pm

I think out of bounds by B-throw in from spot where B caught the ball

VaCoach Sun Nov 26, 2006 03:44pm

Agree with All Heart

I agree with you...out of bounds to Team A at same spot.

Adam Sun Nov 26, 2006 05:10pm

This was, I believe, an unannounced change within the last couple of years.

BktBallRef Sun Nov 26, 2006 05:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaCoach
Team A is in-bounding the ball at baseline of team B. Player 1 throws pass the length of the court and then some, 5 feet out of bounds on the opposite end line, where Team B player catches the pass out of bounds.

The ball is OOB on Team B.

The throw-in spot is where Team B touched the ball.

Nevadaref Sun Nov 26, 2006 06:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
The throw-in spot is where Team B touched the ball.

Not according to the new wording Tony! :D

http://forum.officiating.com/showthread.php?t=29479

HawkeyeCubP Sun Nov 26, 2006 09:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaCoach

NFHS 9-2-10 No player shall be out of bounds when he/she touches or is touched by the ball after it has been released on a throw-in pass.
PENALTY: (Section 2) The ball becomes dead when the violation or technical foul occurs. Following a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in at the original throw-in spot.

OFISHE8 Sun Nov 26, 2006 09:39pm

If team B violates by touching the ball out of bounds, then we have a throw in by team A at original spot. The throw in would not be at the point of the violation under the wording change this year.

Nevadaref Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OFISHE8
If team B violates by touching the ball out of bounds, then we have a throw in by team A at original spot. The throw in would not be at the point of the violation under the wording change <strike>this year</strike>.

Actually, the wording change occurred in the 2004-05 Rules Book. That's two full seasons ago and we are just now beginning the third.

BktBallRef Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Not according to the new wording Tony! :D

http://forum.officiating.com/showthread.php?t=29479

Well, the wording isn't new. The book says the same thing last year and the year before.

But no, I had not read it. If they're going to make a change, the least they can do is list it in the changes. That's pretty screwy.

EDIT: Or did they list it and I missed that too?

Nevadaref Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:12pm

I agree 100%, and you didn't miss them listing it. Hence my rant in that other thread.

I'm still amazed that Zoochy finds these things! How does he do it?

Scrapper1 Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:37am

Is it possible that the new wording in "Penalty (Section 2)" only applies to 9-2-11? "Penalty (Section 1)" specifically says that it's for Art. 11. And the first sentence of "Penalty (Section 2)" is also obviously referring to Art. 11, since it mentions the "violation or technical foul". And then the next sentence says, "Following a violation. . ."

It sounds like they might have been only talking about Art. 11. In other words, "The ball becomes dead when a player reaches through the boundary during the throw-in, whether it is a technical foul or merely a violation. If it's simply a violation, then the ball is put back in play at the original throw-in spot." (If it's a technical, then obviously we have free throws and a midcourt throw-in.)

Zoochy Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Is it possible that the new wording in "Penalty (Section 2)" only applies to 9-2-11? "Penalty (Section 1)" specifically says that it's for Art. 11. And the first sentence of "Penalty (Section 2)" is also obviously referring to Art. 11, since it mentions the "violation or technical foul". And then the next sentence says, "Following a violation. . ."

It sounds like they might have been only talking about Art. 11. In other words, "The ball becomes dead when a player reaches through the boundary during the throw-in, whether it is a technical foul or merely a violation. If it's simply a violation, then the ball is put back in play at the original throw-in spot." (If it's a technical, then obviously we have free throws and a midcourt throw-in.)

I do not think so. Where is the throw-in for violating articles 1 thru 9. Ball goes back to the original spot.
The new question (it was askesd but not answered in a previous thread) is.. If Team A had the ability to run the baseline for the throw-in and Team B created the violation by being OOB while touching the throw-in then, does Team A retain the ability to run the baseline when the ball is brought back for the throw-in?:confused: