The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Double Personal

Unable to determine which foul came first, me and my partner decided to just call a double foul. We were wondering if we should just call a jump ball or what? Can you all help me?
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Can you give a few more details? Who fouled whom? What kind of fouls were you calling? Did you and your partner each have one foul, or did one of you have both?
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 02:23pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by budjones05
Unable to determine which foul came first, me and my partner decided to just call a double foul. We were wondering if we should just call a jump ball or what? Can you all help me?
The possession after a double personal foul is given to the team that had the ball and at the location of the ball, before the fouls occurred. That is called the point of interuption.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 02:24pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
I'm seeing two possibilities:

- you each observed a matchup where two opponents were gettin' at each other, or
- you each had a foul (each probably in your primary) and you got together to see which happened first, and thereby negating the 2nd unless warranted by rule

I think it was the 2nd possibility. I have no problems from a game mgmt POV to ding them both, if you can't determine which happened first.

Then use the POI. Back to the team that had the ball, or APA if there was no team control.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Sat Dec 16, 2006 at 03:04pm.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
- you each had a foul (each probably in your primary) and you got together to see which happened first, and thereby negating the 2nd unless warranted by rule

I think it was the 2nd possibility. I have no problems from a game mgmt POV to ding them both, if you can't determine which happened first.
Just to clarify, this would be a simultaneous foul.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Just to clarify, this would be a simultaneous foul.
And just to further clarify, in the case of either a double or a simultaneous foul, the game continues from the POI.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

If I may add, we called fouls on the same play but he called it on the team a and I called it on team b...He was watching my zone, but we talked about it and decided to give double personals
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 06:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
If I may add, we called fouls on the same play but he called it on the team a and I called it on team b...He was watching my zone, but we talked about it and decided to give double personals
If you have a double whistle on a play in your primary, you should generally take the foul.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 09:20am
MABO Member

Would shot clock reset on a double foul? I got two posts knocking against on each other for position. I tell them to take it easy,... one move and BANG they each lean into one another with their shoulders like a couple of football blockers. I got em both.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.

Last edited by SmokeEater; Mon Dec 18, 2006 at 09:35am.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto
If you have a double whistle on a play in your primary, you should generally take the foul.
Do you have a rule cite that says the other offiical's call is ignored if the foul is not in his area?

budjones05, if you both had whistles on the same play and you had fopuls on opponents, then it is a double foul. POI. Play ball.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 09:37am
PYRef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Would shot clock reset on a double foul?
No, play resumes at POI.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Do you have a rule cite that says the other offiical's call is ignored if the foul is not in his area?

budjones05, if you both had whistles on the same play and you had fopuls on opponents, then it is a double foul. POI. Play ball.
That's called cooperation between partners, working as a team, trusting your partner, whatever. Double whistles can happen, but only one official goes to report. At least, this is what we are taught here. In a charge/block situation, it is important that the official calling the charge does not "punch" immediately, when realizing that the other official has a foul on the defense. Then only the official with the primary responsibility punches, if necessary, and goes to report the foul. It takes a fraction of a second, if the officials have made a good pregame, to silently agree on who has the primary responsibility.

In some rare situations, it could be necessary that the "non-primary" official goes to confer with the "primary" official; for example, when calling a foul which happened before the contact called by the partner. Judging differently one and the same contact is "not a good thing", IMO.

Ciao
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 10:23am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy
That's called cooperation between partners, working as a team, trusting your partner, whatever. Double whistles can happen, but only one official goes to report. At least, this is what we are taught here. In a charge/block situation, it is important that the official calling the charge does not "punch" immediately, when realizing that the other official has a foul on the defense. Then only the official with the primary responsibility punches, if necessary, and goes to report the foul. It takes a fraction of a second, if the officials have made a good pregame, to silently agree on who has the primary responsibility.

In some rare situations, it could be necessary that the "non-primary" official goes to confer with the "primary" official; for example, when calling a foul which happened before the contact called by the partner. Judging differently one and the same contact is "not a good thing", IMO.

Ciao
Where is here?
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Where is here?
Well, the nick should have told you.

Italy, Fiba rules. Which of course allow that two officials call different things on the same contact; but this doesn't mean that the two officials have done a good job.

Ciao
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef

I'm sorry that my post made you sad.

I also never said that the other official's call is ignored if the foul is not in his area.

What I was citing is not a rule (but of course you know that), but is rather the mechanics that we use here in NY girl's HS basketball. The same mechanics are used at the college level (NCAA women's), except when a play originates in one official's primary and moves towards the basket. In that case, the official in whose primary the play starts takes the play all the way to the basket and will generally take the foul.

Please note the use of the word generally in this post and in the previous post. If you and I have a double whistle and the foul is in your primary, I will generally let you take the foul. However, if I see something that I think you may have missed, I'll come and tell you and then let you make the final call. And if we have a double whistle with a fist and a palm, or with two preliminary signals that are different, then we'll get together and decide what we have (which might, in fact, be a double foul), at which point you will take whatever call to the table.

I hope you're less sad now.